Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Michael Hurley
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Tenants lease ended but forgot/left the utilities in her name?!

Michael Hurley
  • Plymouth, MI
Posted Nov 16 2019, 00:13

Can I be held liable, for her mistake of not notifying the utility company to take the utilities out of her name?

I’m a new landlord and was very much taken advantage of by this tenant.   TRUST ME I’ve learned a very very valuable lesson from this experience. 

Short story: I own a duplex, live in one side and rent out the other.  My tenant that just moved out has been terrible!  
I’ve been very good to her, I let her move in 2-3weeks early rent free w/ the agreement that she painted the apartment.  Let her pay rent 2weeks late at a time, let her use my washer and dryer in my unit because she didn’t have one in her unit.  Allowed her to have two cats and a dog (that she never cleaned up after).  When her fridge broke she lost a bunch of food and I let her live there rent free until the fridge was fixed.  (1 week)

And I’ve done so many many nice supportive things for her throughout the duration of her lease. 
She just moved out, did not patch any holes she drilled into the walls from curtains and pictures etc.  Did not do a deep clean leaving the apartment in move in ready condition. 
HOWEVER, she totally forgot to take the utilities out of her name and has now been paying for the electric and heat for this vacant unit for the past week.  

Can I be held liable, for her mistake of not notifying the utility company to take the utilities out of her name? 

Loading replies...