User Stats

Votes
J Greenspan
Votes |
How to handle a Lease Extension?

J Greenspan
Posted Jan 17 2020, 13:05

Hello everyone,

I know this is probably a dumb question (sorry in advance), but how does it work if I used a RE/MAX real estate agent to find a tenant/prepare the original lease, and now the tenant wants to extend the current lease? Do I have to do so using the same real estate agent since the lease is technically "owned" by RE/MAX? I found a lease extension form online but it specifically states: "Use of this form by persons who are not members of the Texas Association of Realtors is not authorized" (of which I am not). If possible, I would prefer to not have to pay commission fees if it's something I can legally handle on my own without the use of a real estate agent.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jan 17 2020, 13:14

Just type up something saying this serves as an extension to the lease dated xxxx for tenant xxxx at property xxxx for xxx days.

Doesn't have to be anything fancy.

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Jan 17 2020, 15:07

Like @John Underwood says just type or even HW something. I will add that it is always best to end extensions in the spring/summer and not fall/winter. You will find tenants more easily spring/summer.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.