Who's Job Is This: Landlord or Tenant?

Who's Job Is This: Landlord or Tenant?

Will FraserPro Member
Real Estate Broker · Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes

A tenant recently let me know that they observed an oddly high water bill.  He then let me know that no obvious sources of a leak are known of in the home and no evidence of leaking is happening, but the high water bill is an indicator of a leak somewhere.

This brought up a fundamental question that I wanted to put out to you and learn from you on:  if the tenant pays the water bill (it is in their name with the city) and there is  SUSPICION of a leak, who's responsibility is it confirm (and pay the fees that would be associated with confirming and/or finding the leak)?

I feel like once the leak is found it would clearly be my duty to repair it (unless the tenant caused it somehow), but when it comes to a suspicion of a leak, what would you recommend?

Thanks for letting me stand on the shoulders of giants!  The view is great from up here!

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
6y

As the landlord you own the pipes. Since you have been notified there is a potential problem you should get a competent person over their to look for leaks.

You could make sure water is not turned on anywhere in the house and then go look at the water meter.

If you see the dial turning at all with everything off then you have a leak somewhere.

If you have a crawlspace I would look there if you don't have any faucets leaking. Check water heater also.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y

    As the landlord you own the pipes. Since you have been notified there is a potential problem you should get a competent person over their to look for leaks.

    You could make sure water is not turned on anywhere in the house and then go look at the water meter.

    If you see the dial turning at all with everything off then you have a leak somewhere.

    If you have a crawlspace I would look there if you don't have any faucets leaking. Check water heater also.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    It is your responsibility and if you don't address it you will have a more expensive problem in the near-future.

    Diagnosing/locating leaks is fairy simple. Turn off all fixtures and observe the meter. Is it spinning? If so you have a leak.

    Then find the leak by closing shut off valves one at a time until the meter stops.

    99% of time it is a toilet flapper/seal, maybe a sink or shower fixture.

  • Real Estate Agent · Nampa, ID · Member since 2017 · 439 posts · 361 votes
    6y

    All you.  Maybe I am a skeptic, but I wouldn't trust someone else research anyway.  I would want to do my own to confirm what the issue is, so I can ensure I am fixing the right issue, and not the answer to some half assed research that won't fix the problem.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    Are you asking if you should pay the difference between the regular water bill and the bill after it started leaking.

    If it were mine (and it was a leaking pipe--not fixture), I would cover it. 

    If the last bill was $39.17 and the leaking bill was $139.17 I would cover the $100 portion for the resident (as other have said you own the pipes).

    Also if the leak is in the pipes it may be over $1,000 and be charged over more than one months billing. For instance bill one = $139.17, bill two = $1300.24, etc... It depends on when the leak started, when it stopped, and when they actually read the meter vs just estimating the cost. (If they just estimated part of it, there may be another big bill when they actually read the meter).

    They have sensors that are supposed to turn the water off if a pipe bursts, I don't know how good they are at detecting leaks though: https://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/water-hero-wireless-leak-detection-system.html

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.