General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Arthur Bailey
Votes |
I met the tenant during the home inspection

Arthur Bailey
Posted Jun 1 2020, 16:37

So during the home inspection, the tenant asked if I was the potential buyer. I didn't want to lie and say I wasn't then they have to deal with me later so I said I was. This tenant has been in the property for 4 years. Is a Section 8 voucher holder.

I used this opportunity to talk to the tenant about what they like and dislike about the property. Their only 2 complaints was that it get extremely cold in the winter and the heat doesn't stay on. I believe this is due to the thermostat being placed in the hallway on the wall where the heater and return is.

secomd complaint is that it is extremely hot in the summer.( There is no central ac but does have forced heat)

My question:

1. Thermostat: install a wireless thermostat and move the sensor to the living room? This is away from the hallway and would be a better source to warm the home.

2. Provide a portable AC unit? A decent one will run about $400. The tenant has their own unit in their bedroom window, but doesn't want to install one in the living room due to the threat of theft. They are gone the majority of the day 6 am until 6pm. 

So as the new landlord, would you provide these items for your tenant? Their living space was well kept so I think that it is a good tenant to try and keep and keep happy.

User Stats

Votes
John Teachout
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Concord, GA
Votes |
  • Concord, GA
Replied Jun 1 2020, 16:57

We don't provide window ac units for those properties that use them. (they provide their own)

That said, we would if it meant retaining a tenant we liked vs trying to fill a vacancy.

Are they actually concerned about the theft of the AC unit vs someone removing the unit and then breaking in?

I just bought a 5000 BTU window unit at Sam's Club for $128.00 fwiw. So if it's the unit they're concerned about, that's not much risk...

User Stats

Votes
Arthur Bailey
Votes |
Replied Jun 1 2020, 17:02

someone breaking in.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Teachout
  • Concord, GA
Votes |
  • Concord, GA
Replied Jun 1 2020, 17:05

The thermostat in the hall that contains the furnace is pretty common. It's not where the heat comes out, so there's some other issue going on. Is the house insulated? If it's forced air, maybe need to check the ducting and vents to make sure nothing is restricted. Did you look at the furnace filter? Is there just one return or one in each room. This would probably warrant an HVAC guy looking things over.

User Stats

Votes
Arthur Bailey
Votes |
Replied Jun 1 2020, 17:18

John the filter was pretty dirty. And the hallway has the kitchen adjacent to it as well. About 4 ft away is the stove

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Jun 1 2020, 21:33

@Arthur Bailey I love meeting tenants during inspections. You are buying their leases as well as the property. Yes I would go out of my way (within reason) to make the place more comfortable for the tenant. All the best!

User Stats

Votes
Kirk R.
  • Peoria, IL
Votes |
  • Peoria, IL
Replied Jun 2 2020, 01:56
Originally posted by @Arthur Bailey:

So during the home inspection, the tenant asked if I was the potential buyer. I didn't want to lie and say I wasn't then they have to deal with me later so I said I was. This tenant has been in the property for 4 years. Is a Section 8 voucher holder.

I used this opportunity to talk to the tenant about what they like and dislike about the property. Their only 2 complaints was that it get extremely cold in the winter and the heat doesn't stay on. I believe this is due to the thermostat being placed in the hallway on the wall where the heater and return is.

secomd complaint is that it is extremely hot in the summer.( There is no central ac but does have forced heat)

My question:

1. Thermostat: install a wireless thermostat and move the sensor to the living room? This is away from the hallway and would be a better source to warm the home.

2. Provide a portable AC unit? A decent one will run about $400. The tenant has their own unit in their bedroom window, but doesn't want to install one in the living room due to the threat of theft. They are gone the majority of the day 6 am until 6pm. 

So as the new landlord, would you provide these items for your tenant? Their living space was well kept so I think that it is a good tenant to try and keep and keep happy.

thermos

a thermostat doesn't provide heat.  it's more or less an on off switch. 

if they want rooms warmer just turn the thermostat in the hallway up.  But their utility bill is gonna be higher.