First tenant signs tomorrow morning. What forms do you give them?

First tenant signs tomorrow morning. What forms do you give them?

Josh YohnPro Member
Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes

So I have my first new tenant moving into my newly acquired triplex tomorrow (Westminster Maryland). I was looking through my folder of papers that I have for them to sign and started thinking about what forms other landlords have the tenants sign at move in. Between the lease, lead pamphlets, lead disclosure, move in conditions checklist, I feel like I have allot of papers here. Or maybe not enough. So, what paperwork do you give your tenants and what do you have them sign?

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
5y

I try to minimize what they take with them on the day of signing. It's already overwhelming for them to move so 80% of what you tell them will be forgotten and the paperwork could be shoved in a box and lost.

I prefer to give them an email a week after they move in that has some key reminders about their lease, how to dispose of large items like broken furniture, how to submit maintenance requests, etc. That seems to get more traction than another piece of paper.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    You have most.  I'd add info on garbage pick up and recycling, if you have a community mailbox, where it is and how to get a key and any info they might need for utilities. Guessing they already setup the services in their name.

    Put the pamphlets in an envelop and they can look through it later.

  • Josh YohnPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    I like that, I’m going to type it up now. Thank you!

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    Make sure to give them information on how to transfer any utilities they are responsible for. I would not give them the keys until that is complete and you confirm it with the utility company. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    I try to minimize what they take with them on the day of signing. It's already overwhelming for them to move so 80% of what you tell them will be forgotten and the paperwork could be shoved in a box and lost.

    I prefer to give them an email a week after they move in that has some key reminders about their lease, how to dispose of large items like broken furniture, how to submit maintenance requests, etc. That seems to get more traction than another piece of paper.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Peter TverdovBusiness Member
    Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Lease and security deposit?

    1st month of rent needs to be paid before you give keys.

    We then email a move in inspection list for them to fill out and return within 48 hours.

    For student tenants, we'll give them an info sheet on what to do for maintenance repairs, lock outs, paying rent, etc.

    Don't overthink it too much.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.