• Investor
  • Fontana, CA
Votes |
Replaced Refrigerator by tenant without notice

Tammy Mason
  • Investor
  • Fontana, CA
Posted Nov 21 2020, 21:05

My tenants sent me the following message. There was no previous messaging of any problems; they informed me of replacing and discarding the previous unit all in one message. Then expect me to pay for the new unit. The receipt they provided does not clearly indicate a refrigerator purchase at all, just an "order id" and "recall amount"; there is no indication of a product type, name, etc. The total with tax is a bit below $750, which is reasonable for a refrigerator but why would they not give me some notice about the issue? The receipt is dated October 24 but they first contacted me about it on November 1. I still don't know if the water was ice maker water, condensation water, or something else.
I'm tempted to just tell them that the new refrigerator they claim to have bought shall remain their property and I will just call it a loss on the previous refrigerator.
---
Good evening,
The refrigerator has started to leak water and we decided it was time for a replacement. Would you like to deduct the amount from the rent? It will be delivered and installed by the *unnamed* service representatives on *date*
Thank you for your time and consideration
---
In a later email, in reply to a request to send me an image of the problem with the old unit and a picture of the new unit. That's when they said this:
---
The old refrigerator was leaking water from the freezer and freezing all the food on the first two shelves. Water would also leak out onto the floor when the door was open. I don't believe it was in anyone's best interest to have water leaking in any part of the house. *unnamed entity* delivered the new refrigerator and we paid $25.00 for them to take away the old one. We understand if it is not in your budget to reimburse.

Loading replies...