• The Vampire State
Votes |
"Quick draw" tenants

Wesley W.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • The Vampire State
Posted Jan 16 2021, 04:57

Hey guys,

During my tenure of showing rental units to prospects, I've noticed a behavioral phenomenon during showings and I am trying to figure out what it means.

Occasionally, I'll have a prospective tenant walk in to the unit,  poke their head into each room, and then declare that they want to proceed with the application process - all in the manner of 15 seconds (no hyperbole).  They don't ask me any questions - they want to apply and be considered for the apartment.

To me, this reeks of desperation, but oftentimes these applicants are qualified.  Some of them don't need to move right away, either.  (It's these folks I am referring to, not the underemployed dude with a sad story.)  I worry about these prospects, and traditionally have passed on them because it seems they aren't putting much thought into the place where they intend to lay their head (no emotional "skin in the game") and might be cavalier how they treat the place.  Or, should I take this as a compliment as to the quality of my product versus the competition?

Right now, in NY, there is a dearth of good applicants due to the time of year as well as the compounding effect of everyone "sheltering in place" because of COVID.  So, I'm reconsidering my stance on these "shoot from the hip" applicants.

Is my sixth sense right?  How would you interpret this behavior?

Loading replies...