Rental Property Flooring suggestions

21 Replies

Hey guys, nearing closing on my first investment property. The property is going to need flooring and paint.

In your opinion what is the best flooring for a rental? In terms of it looking stylish and durability?

Where do you get it from and price per sqft.

Also paint recommendations are welcome.

Tile, it's a large upfront cost, but you generally never need to worry about it again. Make sure to buy a few extra tiles in case any crack over time.

Carpet is cheap and easy

Laminate isn't good, it scratches and wears down easily which isn't good.when tenants are moving in and out with any sort of frequency.

On sale at Costco for $1.50 sf. So easy to install and seems to be wearing very well. There are about 15 DIFFERENT planks. Most of the higher price stuff have just a few so you will notice the repetition in a large room. Longevity is nice but remember styles change. I can remember when nice hardwood floors were covered with wall to wall shag carpet. Go figure.

Luxury Vinyl Plank (LVP) is a great choice. Looks like hardwood, durable, easy to clean, handles water. It's easy to install yourself after watching a YouTube video.

Originally posted by @Chris Hodge :

@Nathan G. Yeah I was leaning more towards this. It looks like the best option right now.

Have you ever used LVP? How much do you get yours for if you do use it?

Yes, I've used LVP a lot but I've hired contractors for purchase and installation. And the last time was over a year ago, so I couldn't even tell you what the price looks like today. They sell it at Lowe's, Home Depot, and many other places.

Lumber Liquidators has a good selection of LVP and better pricing than just about anywhere.  I like Costco too, but my store rarely has enough in stock when I need it.

I recommend LVP. I was able to get it at $1.89 for a grey 5 mil.  I put it in two of my properties and am supper happy.  Everyone that came to see the house, when I was looking for a tenant, loved how it made the homes look.

For my rental over concrete, I prefer glue down vinyl planks, vs snap and click. Reason 1, flooring is not expensive and it's durable, Reason 2, if it needs to be repaired cut the ripped/worn out area and put in new piece.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tr...
Walnut Ember Java 6 in. x 36 in. Vinyl Peel and Stick Vinyl Plank (36 sq. ft. / case)

.97c sq ft. Most Home Depot's have this in stock. 

Pete....

LVP is great for a living room or hallway. I still like carpet for bedrooms. It feels more comfortable in the winter, provides noise dampening, doesn't show dust and if kids can play on it comfortably. Bedroom carpet lasts much longer than hallway or living spaces, because it gets less traffic. I also do carpet on the steps, because of slip resistant properties and steps are just easier to carpet. Another option to consider is loose lay vinyl sheet for kitchens and bathrooms. It is thick, installs really fast and is completely water proof. They have patterns to mimic tile or wood that look realistic. One final consideration is tile, especially for bathrooms. A good tile floor will last 30 or 40 years. Just pick your pattern carefully, because it usually gets outdated long before it wears out.

@Chris Hodge

We do glue down vinyl plank. If one or a couple get damaged they can be pulled up and replaced vs a floating floor that you have to disassemble back to the damaged area, usually once they click and come apart they never hold well again either. You can also seal and wax it like a vct floor so you can just recreate a wear layer during turnovers.

@Chris Hodge   also depends on the location of the flooring, climate, and kind of property.  If you have wood floors refinish them in common areas as long as you can. It is cheaper and nicer then LVT but probably best for better classes of property.  Tile in bathrooms is  better but more expensive.  Don't pick anything special tile lasts a long time and you don't want it to become dated. 

LVT is great for damp locations and common areas when you don't have wood floors.  For ground floor bedrooms/ family rooms over concrete, I would use carpet as it gets cold.  That said I never use carpet in finished basements because dampness is an issue.   As for carpets in bedrooms, they can always use area rugs if they want the feel of carpet.  However, using carpet in bedrooms can speed up turnaround. 

Premium vinyl or laminated flooring.

Laminated is a bit restricted to low moisture. LVP is durable and stable and more resistant to moisture. 

LVP is the way to go. BUT you still have to do your due diligence. Installation wise you have the Click Lock or the Glue down. While the Click Lock floating floor may not need a subfloor the ability to easily repair it compared to repairing a glue down may glue down a better choice. More important than anything is the Finish on the product. Don't confuse wearlayer with finish. A wearlayer is the clear coat over the color layer that prevents you from walk off the pattern as you may have seen in peel n stick cheap tiles. For residential a 6 mil would suffice, you're not getting a lot of high traffic but naturally the thicker the better. The Finish is the coating that is put over the wearlayer for scratch resistance. Go with either an Aluminum Oxide or Ceramic Bead finish, 2 coats if you can find it. Cheaper LVP use a urethane finish which is good but not great. Some cheaper products don't use a finish and just rely on the pvc wearlayer which is soft and scratches easily. Also the drop and lock system for floating floor installation is great for the do it yourself person but nearly impossible to take apart without damaging the product so know what you're getting into and good luck

If it's got hardwoods, I would refinish them. If not, I think the vinyl plank stuff they're selling (especially the stuff that looks like hardwoods) is a good idea. It's more expensive than carpet, but will last longer and through more turns generally