General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
N/A N/A
Votes |
It is getting close to time to buy

N/A N/A
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:55

Property values have been declining and many wholesale deals are starting to show up around the nation. It is time to buy and hold, Landlord frenzy, rents should be going up also because of the rightsizing of property owners. The last couple of years renters became homeowners and now they are forced back to renting - rates adjusted. So go grab some properties and sit on them for 3 years you will be glad you did. Any comments?

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 2 2007, 20:59

I could not agree with you more!!

User Stats

Votes
Dan N
Votes |

Everyone is preaching this, which makes me wonder. Obviously, the contrarian view right now is that since 'everyone' is losing their homes and becoming renters again that should squeeze rents upward. Problem is, the home ownership rate (at least where I live) is at an all-time high, and even with the subprime woes I don't think this will significantly impact that.

My observation (I am not yet a landlord BTW, but I do a lot of research:) is that vacancy rates seem to be improving, but rents haven't really moved (yet?). I can't see there being an actual rental shortage, at least in my area. So what is to push rents up, besides ordinary inflationary increases?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 23 2007, 21:51

I am hearing in my market that rents are actually going down. I actually went to look at a property yesterday and spoke to a couple of the tenants. They said they had only been living there for two weeks and that their landlord let them take the place for a downpayment of less than a third of the monthly rent. The guy also revealed that he was having money problems and had just done a stint in jail for having unpaid fines.

My thought was either these people are really lousy landlords, or they were desperate for tenants and took the first people who came along. I am definitely keeping an eye on the market and seeing how things play out before I buy. I am a newbie so I'm being extra cautious anyhow.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Holdman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mercer Island, WA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mercer Island, WA
ModeratorReplied May 24 2007, 04:29

An article in the paper here a couple of weeks back talked about the fact vacancies are falling, but rents are pretty flat. They attributed it to several factors, including landlords just wanting to get units filled and to newbie investors getting stuck with properties that expected to sell. http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_5823796

User Stats

Votes
X X
Votes |
Replied May 25 2007, 09:01

This is an intersting topic; if you listen to some, they would have you believe that the sky is falling.

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2006/08/30/irrational-exuberance-the-real-estate-bubble-and-the-weakening-of-the-us-economy/

EDIT: Actually, I have to credit Wheatie with this link from another thread.