General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Mike Huggins
Votes |
Use Security Deposit in this Situation?

Mike Huggins
Posted Jun 17 2021, 21:39

I have a situation where the boiler room pipe sprung a needle size hole, spraying a very small amount of water against drywall.   From the beginning of the lease, I have instructed the tenant to look at the boiler room once a week.  Check for smells, smoke, standing water, spraying water, anything out of the ordinary.

I show up at the unit and find out that the boiler room pipe is spraying water.  I call a plumber and get it fixed right away.  I asked the plumber how long its been like this and he responds saying looking at the black mold on the drywall, it has to be over a month.  Turns out small pin hole leak can be a lot of water over a month.  Makes sense.

I ask the tenant when they were last in the boiler room and they say 2 days ago.  They did not see the standing water or the straying water or the damaged drywall with black mold on it.  Obviously they were not in the boiler room 2 days ago or even 20 days ago.

Does this situation warrant me using part of their security deposit to fix the moldy drywall issue?

Loading replies...