NorCal Coastal Meetup (Santa Cruz to Monterey) - Friday 1/16/2015

34 Replies

• 01/16/15 07:00PM
  • Beer 30
  • Free

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. Poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event. Report

Hi All,

Join us for the first meetup for the year! We'll talk about some of the local and out of area deals that people have been doing. I have some new adventures of my own to share. @Helen Chau & @Troy Fisher   and I try to make this meetup come together quarterly. The last event had 16 people and we wandered through topics from creative financing options, scaling your portfolio, out of state deals, using wholesalers to our personal halloween investing "horror stories".

When: Friday, January 16, 2015, 7:00pm

Where: Beer 30 (its new, fun and has an amazing selection)

2504 S Main St, Soquel, CA 95073

Please support the small business by spending some money and tipping for the great service we receive! 

Can't wait to see you all,

Shane

People typically come from: Santa Cruz, Felton, Boulder Creek, Scotts Valley, Live Oak, Capitola, Soquel, Aptos, Watsonville, Freedom, Pajaro, Seaside, Castroville,  Salinas, Gilroy, Marina, Aromas, Monterey, Carmel, Los Gatos, Campbell, Saratoga, San Jose. 

Remember, Friday evening traffic can get a touch thick so give yourself some time. I'll hang there till it ends (about 10-11pm depending on how conversation flows).

I'm in! Thanks for setting it up Shane!

Originally posted by @Shane Pearlman :

And for the Roll Call:

@Eileen Burke Woodward , @Brad Gustafson , @Uuri Koh , @Eric Mun

@Marilynn Woodcock, @Marcie Montis , @Erle Mcdonald , @Kenny Boyd

@Dylan M, @Shane Pearlman , @Steffen Vulpius , @BeBe Cheng

@Joey Budka @Denise D , @Daniel Shepstone , @DanrKelly, @Helen Chau

@Jacob Yufa @mariaej @Kenny Boyd @Judy J.  @Omi C.  

@Minh Le  - what are the odds you can make it out. If you do, beer on me. I'd love to talk more about Seattle.

@J. Martin - think you can come down that date? Pick up our conversation?

Shane, I'm in!.  Thanks for the shout out. I'm not working that day (surprise!), so I think I'll use it as an excuse to come down and hang out in the Monterey area for the day, and come say hello to the Monterey area investors... Minh, you should come down and say hi too ;) Mix it up!

DOES ANYONE GOING TO THE MEETUP HAVE AN AIRBNB OR GUESTROOM AVAILABLE that I might be able to stay in for the night? I usually end up drinking with the late crowd, and would prefer to enjoy my time down there, rather than cutting out early to get back.. Happy to put you up in Oakland in my Airbnb unit or personal apt next time you're up!

I'd also like to add @Rob Henriquez  and @Leslie Anderson  .. Hopefully you two can make it out!

Medium logoJ. Martin, SF Bay Summit | [email protected] | 510‑863‑1190 | http://www.sfbaysummit.com

J. M. you are welcome to stay in my office / guest room (it is a futon but a nice one). I'm a solid walk from the venue and just above the beach (we can brunch at the beach in the morning or take the kids surfing if the weather is good).

Originally posted by @Shane Pearlman :

@J. Martin you are welcome to stay in my office / guest room (it is a futon but a nice one). I'm a solid walk from the venue and just above the beach (we can brunch at the beach in the morning or take the kids surfing if the weather is good).

I would be honored to stay in your home! Especially by the beach ;)  Thanks Shane. Mark me down. Looking forward to seeing everyone further down the coast, and I have a couple recent deals to share and some things I'm working on now if anyone's interested in hearing about them..

An update..
Bought West Oakland duplex from wholesaler in August with a new partner from BP (formerly borrowed money from her). Built a wall to divide units & started Airbnb in Aug/September (killin it). Tried to buy a lot in E Oakland in Oct - currently stalled deal. Might never pan out. Threw the big Summit in Nov at SFSU - kicked ***! Signed another master lease/sublease deal a couple days ago with a different partner I'm already working with. Taking a peek at some sub-$100K condos in the Bay Area right now, and a $1.7MM former mansion turned multifamily not too far from Lake Merritt in Oakland, which is blowing up... Also had a tenant file a complaint with the city against me (unwarranted), one vacancy pop up, and 2 water leaks.. but between 15 units, during some transition time, not too bad all things considered ;)

Happy to kick around these topics or whatever else others have on their plate while we're down there.. Looking forward to learning more from other investors I don't get to see too often, and about your last deal Shane, and whatever else you're working on. Let me know if you want to meet up early (depending on how long you can put up with me since I'm crashing at your place)... I plan on being down there earlier in the day. Would be nice to catch up a bit individually..

@Omi C. , @Rob Henriquez , @Leslie Anderson , @Troy Fisher , @Helen Chau , Looking forward to saying hello! Along with everyone else ;)

Medium logoJ. Martin, SF Bay Summit | [email protected] | 510‑863‑1190 | http://www.sfbaysummit.com

I guess I will be sharing the futon with J. Let me check with my wife. I'll try to make it, but I'm not sleeping over. :0)

@J. Martin I might go surf at 3pm, depending on the swell.  I'm on dinner + bedtime duty for the kids 5pm until event kickoff. Happy to make a Saturday morning brunch.

@Shane Pearlman  ,

Looking forward to it! Good you set aside time for the kids and helping out! Thanks for putting me up, and happy to have brunch in the morning to catch up or maybe chase you and the kids out into the surf if I'm welcome.. (longboarded a few times back on the central coast, but I could just stand up and move a little last time I tried ;) No hang tens! (or even a pinky toe)

@Minh Le  ,

I really appreciate getting to know you better this last year, but I don't think we need to share the futon! lol  You'll be a thousand times happier waking up to your beautiful wife than this mug!! lol And she'll be much happier you made it back too I'm sure. But hopefully you can come down and mix it up with a little different group.

Looking forward to seeing you both and everyone else there in the beautiful Monterey area! And also forward to making a little trip out of it.

Shane, let me know if there's something awesome I should go do during the day down there! I was thinking about wandering through a trail in a forest (I heard in Santa Cruz somewhere...) Huge trees and lush nature, quirky/weird stuff in the area, unique to the area, etc. Is whale watching  worth it? I don't think I've been to Monterey Bay Aquarium in a decade or so either. Not to be a total tourist, but I'm not down there too often..

Also, any particular place I should absolutely eat while I'm down there? (Although horribly, I'm not a huge seafood fan!)

Thanks for being my local tour guide Shane!

J. M. -- There's ton to do.  Niscene Marks down in Aptos (a lot closer to Beer 30 then Santa Cruz) is a great hike.  Mystery Spot is good too.  Monterey is 45 minutes south of where we are. 

Medium logo640x400Troy Fisher, Lanika Home Inspections | [email protected] | http://www.lanikahis.com

@Troy Fisher   
FRIDAY AFTERNOON HIKING AND MYSTERY SPOT pre-MEETUP?
12PMish Niscene Marks trail, Aptos
4PMish Mystery Spot, Santa Cruz
7PM Awesome meetup organized by @Shane Pearlman  , with @Helen Chau  , @Omi C.  , hopefully @Minh Le  (up for an afternoon adventure in some beautiful areas of the Bay too?), and all the other awesome coastal folks down there ;)

WOW! Was just checking some pics of Niscene Marks in Aptos and AMAZING!!!! Great recommendation close to San Jose Troy! Now I understand why those properties in Aptos cost what they cost! lol I'm in love. Such a huge fan of these forests!!!

http://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrTccNIYnlU1SUAfa4PxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBsOXB2YTRjBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=yhs-ironsource-fullyhosted_003&va=nisene+marks&hspart=ironsource&hsimp=yhs-fullyhosted_003

For sure, Niscene Marks then Mystery spot would be killer!!!! Can't believe I forgot about Mystery Spot. So many bumper stickers, and didn't even cross my mind. I saw your message, and would love to meet up on Friday for these if you want to lead..

I think meet at Niscene Marks in afternoon 12ish? Then cruise down to SC for Mystery spot to start around 4ish? If some other folks want to come out and enjoy the beautiful Cali sights the day of the meetup, I always love chatting with other real estate investors :) And stoked to be able to catch up with TROY!

I'm sure there will be some relatively close-by folks in Morgan Hill, Gilroy, Salinas, Los Gatos, Watsonville, Castroville, Seaside, who want to come and shoot the Real Estate breeze with a lot of other great people and investors. Looking forward to it!

@Arlen Chou , @Joe Vasallo, and @Eric Zou , Shane has an awesome tech enterprise going too.. Chat with him if you haven't yet! All you tech entrepreneurs should be in touch :)

THANKS FOR MAKING THINGS HAPPEN SHANE!!! (and having me at your home! ;)

Don't forget to to mention: Scotts Valley, Ben Lomond, Capitola, King City, Salinas, Gilroy, Watsonville, and Soquel!

Also, if we are going to do the Mystery Spot we need to plan ahead... Buy Tickets and setup a tour. I'll do all my @Mentions in the morning.

Medium logo640x400Troy Fisher, Lanika Home Inspections | [email protected] | http://www.lanikahis.com

Have a great time.  I do not think I will make it.  People who need go through 17 please leaves early on Friday to get over the mountain.  It took me almost 2 hours to get to the meet up place last time.

Thank you Shane!

Originally posted by J. M.:

@Troy Fisher   
FRIDAY AFTERNOON HIKING AND MYSTERY SPOT pre-MEETUP?
12PMish Niscene Marks trail, Aptos
4PMish Mystery Spot, Santa Cruz
7PM Awesome meetup organized by @Shane Pearlman  , with @Helen Chau  , @Omi C.  , hopefully @Minh Le  (up for an afternoon adventure in some beautiful areas of the Bay too?), and all the other awesome coastal folks down there ;)

WOW! Was just checking some pics of Niscene Marks in Aptos and AMAZING!!!! Great recommendation close to San Jose Troy! Now I understand why those properties in Aptos cost what they cost! lol I'm in love. Such a huge fan of these forests!!!

http://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrTccNIYnlU1SUAfa4PxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBsOXB2YTRjBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=yhs-ironsource-fullyhosted_003&va=nisene+marks&hspart=ironsource&hsimp=yhs-fullyhosted_003

For sure, Niscene Marks then Mystery spot would be killer!!!! Can't believe I forgot about Mystery Spot. So many bumper stickers, and didn't even cross my mind. I saw your message, and would love to meet up on Friday for these if you want to lead..

I think meet at Niscene Marks in afternoon 12ish? Then cruise down to SC for Mystery spot to start around 4ish? If some other folks want to come out and enjoy the beautiful Cali sights the day of the meetup, I always love chatting with other real estate investors :) And stoked to be able to catch up with TROY!

I'm sure there will be some relatively close-by folks in Morgan Hill, Gilroy, Salinas, Los Gatos, Watsonville, Castroville, Seaside, who want to come and shoot the Real Estate breeze with a lot of other great people and investors. Looking forward to it!

@Arlen Chou  , @Joe Vasallo, and @Eric Zou , Shane has an awesome tech enterprise going too.. Chat with him if you haven't yet! All you tech entrepreneurs should be in touch :)

THANKS FOR MAKING THINGS HAPPEN SHANE!!! (and having me at your home! ;)

Looks like many people are going. I would love to make it. Have to check with the wife first. 

I am excited to meet all of you.  I will be there on the 16th.  If anyone from the Monterey area is interested in commuting together, please let me know.  

If I'm not in Vietnam, I will be in Soquel :) thanks for putting this together Shane!

Hey thanks for the invite! It would be great to meet other RE investors in the area (we're in Monterey/Seaside). We plan to attend the event at Beer 30 and will see you all there.

Rob Henriquez, Deep Blue Development Inc | 831‑521‑7138 | http://www.deepbluedev-inc.com/

Hi All,

I would love to join you all for my first meetup. I will try and make it over the hill early enough to beat Friday evening rush hour. Crossing fingers.

I'm new to SC RE, but I'm currently working on a house just up the hill from Beer 30 on Fairway.  I'm looking forward to the meetup.

Thanks @Troy Fisher. I will look into that.

I plan on Being there!

If you are coming over Hwy 17 take the Summit exit to the Old Santa Cruz Highway, drops into Soquel Left on Main st (Troy's Suggestion)