Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kirk Watkins
Votes |
Best way to sell a successful STR?

Kirk Watkins
Posted Jun 10 2022, 11:35

I have a short term rental that is very successful in St. Louis as it has 5 bedrooms and 5 baths. It has a good history, but I need to sell it. How would you recommend I market it to investors? It is best suited to be an STR rather than a home for a family so MLS doesn't seem that useful. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Luttrell
  • Lender
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Orange County, CA
Replied Jun 10 2022, 11:44

You can still list on MLS and market it to investors. Find an investor-friendly agent (maybe here on BP) to work with and they'll have tips and strategies for the best way to market it.

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Allen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • South Lake Tahoe, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • South Lake Tahoe, CA
Replied Jun 10 2022, 12:00

@Kirk Watkins

Don't overthink it, list it on the MLS with a good agent. They can post the earnings history for other agents to share with their clients. Investors have agents that watch the MLS for good deals and those are the homes that go the fastest. If a primary home buyer wants to compete with investors, all the better.

Dustin Allen - REALTOR® Logo
Hospitable logo
Hospitable
|
Sponsored
Free eBook: The Ultimate STR Guide Over 100 pages of focused knowledge to help you launch and scale your short-term rental business.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Beasley
  • Pigeon Forge, TN
Votes |
  • Pigeon Forge, TN
Replied Jun 10 2022, 12:20

Get it in front of as many eyes as possible! The MLS is a big part of doing that and getting it listed on all the major sites people use to look for property. Find an agent that specializes in real estate investing. Don't look for the cheapest agent either find one that has a proven track record and they will be worth the money. It doesn't matter what you go under contract at...it matters what number you go to closing at. A good agent will get you to closing at the best possible number.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Maciejewski
Agent
  • Realtor
  • PInellas County Largo, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • PInellas County Largo, FL
Replied Jun 10 2022, 12:50

1. Know the prevailing market cap rate for the asset type (STR).

2. Know your numbers and (best case) be able to provide a pro forma and past numbers to prospective buyers

3. Price based on your numbers and the cap rate. Cap Rate = NOI / Purchase Price(market Value). Purchase Price (Market Value) = NOI / Cap Rate as a percent

An example would be a rental with NOI of 65k. Prevailing cap rate for STR in the area is 9%. 65k / .09 = $722,000. Then adjust to be competitive, eg., more real buyers above 725k, then price up a hair, or more actual buyers below, then advertise at that price. If that price is lower that FMV for regular buyers, don't worry about investors! It shouldn't be, though.

Then connect with someone or advertise in a place (like here) that has a high number of real buyers for that asset type (vacation rental/ short term rental). If you're in any groups for investors, market there. I would suggest searching for someone (a Realtor) on here that is in your area and knows what they are doing and has the buyers to market to. Be careful. Ask for their sales and make sure that they are actually selling and selling to investors in your asset class. I would let them put it on the MLS, too. I sell to people from all over the country and the world, and most sales are on the MLS.

Best case scenario: let the bidding begin!

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Messinger
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Votes |
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Replied Jun 10 2022, 13:55

Hey @Kirk Watkins

@Kevin Luttrell said it perfectly! Even if you list it on the MLS investors will find it. Get an agent that invests in the market and pick their brain on what they think would be best to do in this situation.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to reach out! 

Cheers,

Josh

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Carlson
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Glendora, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Glendora, CA
Replied Jun 11 2022, 13:52
Quote from @Kirk Watkins:

I have a short term rental that is very successful in St. Louis as it has 5 bedrooms and 5 baths. It has a good history, but I need to sell it. How would you recommend I market it to investors? It is best suited to be an STR rather than a home for a family so MLS doesn't seem that useful. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

@Kirk Watkins can you send me details about your property? I'm from Southern California but have an office in Gravois Park. I'm tired of paying for apartments when I fly into town. I'm looking for a property similar to yours. 

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 12 2022, 13:48

I think the suggestions here are good but don't overlook posting on some big STR facebook groups, there are a couple that are dedicated to people looking to buy STRs, especially turnkey cash flowing ones.

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mckernan
Agent
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Jun 13 2022, 06:01

You have all the financials and use those to your advantage. My experience agents that have a listing of a STR either do not have them right away, or take a long time to get those to prospective buyers. In our MLS, we have a spot called supplementals and I would attach them there so the buyer's agent can provide them to the buyer ASAP. Also, make sure your listing on Airbnb is doing well and you have been doing well with the performance which will get you way more money. I have noticed that some people do not run it well, their numbers are half what they could be then it just hurts their sale of the home/STR in price and DOM (days on market).

The second way to be a good STR investor that sells it for a profit is network with those STR owners, we sold one on an off market transaction since we had a relationship with a lot of STR owners and some investors that were looking to get into that specific area. That being said network with those agents in that area that have been selling a lot of STRs, off market deals, and selling for/to investors.

The McKernan Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Robert M.
Votes |

There are some social media groups that  investors from all over the nation follow.  I’ve watched properties posted there create a feeding frenzy because it’s a targeted audience. There are others, but I belong to Airbnb homes for sale—79k members.  Just be sure you know your market well enough to set your price on your own.  You could be penny wise and a pound foolish if you save an agent’s commission only to price the property too low and lose substantially more.