• Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
Love the property, Hate the furniture

Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tennessee Florida
Posted Apr 1 2017, 15:22

Chances are the owners don't want it either and live 12 states away. Its not terrible furniture it is just not my style at all. I'd probably get rid of all of it. 

Can I off offer less money and say I don't want the furniture? asking price 179k

User Stats

Votes
Brett Dawson
  • Professional
  • Brecksville, OH
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Brecksville, OH
Replied Apr 1 2017, 15:33

Use that to your advantage when offering. They probably don't want that ugly furniture either. Work that into your offer.
Or just sell it on Craigslist afterwords. I recently did this with a property. I kept a couple pieces that still worked.

User Stats

Votes
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Apr 1 2017, 16:07

realtor says property is owned by 20 parties. Doctor types.  They bought it new 07 for 300+  asking 179 

what should I offer and how should I word it? I do love the unit but the furniture has to go its also never been painted and needs flooring. 

@Brett Dawson

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Apr 1 2017, 17:40

What do Comps say it is worth?

Offer based on that and then get a high priced contractor from the yellow pages to give you written quotes on what the repairs will cost. Deduct that from what the house is worth and attach these quotes to your offer as substantiation to your low price offer.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Apr 1 2017, 18:05

Make 2 offers , the first at a lower price with the furniture included , then tell them you will up the offer $1000 if the furniture is gone before settlement .  They will get the idea 

User Stats

Votes
Brett Dawson
  • Professional
  • Brecksville, OH
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Brecksville, OH
Replied Apr 3 2017, 07:31

The offering price is really comp based, so have a look at those for your final number.  Another option would be a seller credit at closing.  This would give you some money back to remodel.  You know they don't want to deal the furniture and you can resell for some amount of money, but a seller credit would give you some money to remodel. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Wyffels
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Apr 3 2017, 09:31

Focus on the price -- and factor the cost of movers in your offer first. Don't get caught up on anything else. Matt makes a great point -- but you should know all the costs to make a deal work.  At most you could be pissing someone off that is irrational. If they say it is too low -- offer more if they take the furniture. 

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Replied Apr 5 2017, 13:10

@Luke Carl , it doesn't take that much to remove all the furniture. You can call a thrift store and ask them to come take it all once you buy it. Don't focus on the furniture. Offer what you feel the property is worth, and remove the furniture after the sale is done.