• Investor
  • Sewell, NJ
Votes |
How many tv needed in a 3 bedroom str

Jeff Small
  • Investor
  • Sewell, NJ
Posted May 18 2018, 13:11
Hello fellow BP members. Hi guys. I am putting together an STR that is three bedrooms two bathrooms and 1257 ft.². I am putting a 50 inch TV on the wall in the master bedroom. Also putting a 60 inch TV in the family room over the fireplace. Does anyone think I need a TV on the wall in any one of the other bedrooms? I have that bedroom wired for TV and cable at this time, just wondering if it is worth the money to put a TV in that bedroom also. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Chai Xiong
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied May 18 2018, 13:20

I just purchase a STR every bedroom has a TV.. But the kids room had the smaller tv back in the early 2000 models.. so i took them out. I really don't think it matters as u are more fighting for price per night.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied May 18 2018, 13:39

TV in every bed room  TV's are the price of toasters these days.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Sid Payne
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • Longmont, CO
Replied May 18 2018, 14:30

I put a screen in every room. You can get a 40" at Sam's Club for under $200.00. I don't always have cable run to them but at least Netflix or other streaming services. I've had good luck with the TCL TVs that include Roku built in for really easy streaming. However, if you already have cable there, that may be easier. I also upgrade the cable TV package to include more channels and go HD on everything. I also include a gaming system and some games. While it seems bad, a lot of the time I think parents want the kids to go off and entertain themselves so they can unwind. I suppose that depends on how much outdoorsy stuff there is to do.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Small
  • Investor
  • Sewell, NJ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Sewell, NJ
Replied May 18 2018, 14:40

Thanks everyone, TV in every room!!

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied May 18 2018, 15:11

TV in every room and mount them high on the wall that will have the least amount of foot traffic.  Why?  People are going to knock into them and break the screen.  Also, make them difficult to remove.  I had a meth head break into one of my houses and steal the HDTV one day.  I went back the next morning and he had been back, the front and back door had been braced shut.  He was sleeping in one of the bedrooms. I called the p.d.  They went in with guns drawn, 30 seconds later I heard a lot of shouting, then they brought him out in cuffs and invited me inside while they searched his back pack.

User Stats

Votes
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied May 19 2018, 07:25

A giant TV and a cable box for each room or you won’t get good reviews in my market.

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied May 19 2018, 07:48
Originally posted by @Paul Sandhu:

TV in every room and mount them high on the wall that will have the least amount of foot traffic.  Why?  People are going to knock into them and break the screen.  Also, make them difficult to remove.  I had a meth head break into one of my houses and steal the HDTV one day.  I went back the next morning and he had been back, the front and back door had been braced shut.  He was sleeping in one of the bedrooms. I called the p.d.  They went in with guns drawn, 30 seconds later I heard a lot of shouting, then they brought him out in cuffs and invited me inside while they searched his back pack.

C'mon Paul don't leave us hanging! What was in the back pack??

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied May 19 2018, 07:56

@Bjorn Ahlblad

Soap, toothpaste, shampoo, Axe body spray, some clothing, cigarettes, a bunch of scratch off lottery tickets, and a tin mint box of full of methamphetamine.  The cop said that there was enough there to be charged with intent to distribute, but he's only being charged with possession.

User Stats

Votes
Jenessa NeSmith
  • Investor
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Omaha, NE
Replied May 23 2018, 05:42

It honestly depends on your market. Look at what other airbnbs are charging in relation to what their amenities are, and also see how often their calendar is booked.

You might technically be able to charge more with a tv in every room...but will the higher cost deter future bookings?

Our market is all about price. People would rather have less amenities but be able to stay cheaply. So we provide a middle of the road Airbnb in terms of furnishings and amenities, because we wouldn’t see a return on our investment in multiple televisions. However we spend a considerable amount of time/energy making our customer service and local recommendations stand out.

User Stats

Votes
Mark S.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 23 2018, 06:24

I'm torn on this.  We have a 3 bedroom with a TV in the living room and master.  But our property is very remote so we have to rely on Dish TV.  We also have 'modest' internet speeds using a line-of-sight antenae because we are remote.  This means that video Internet streaming isn't a good experience.

If we have to add two more TVs that would mean 2 more Dish TV receivers and their monthly charges.  

I haven't had any negative comments about it, but for all I know I'm missing out on bookings because we don't have a TV in each room.  Not sure.  But TV usually isn't why people book in our area.

Food for thought 

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied May 28 2018, 08:38

I have a VRBO lake house. I have one. I have 70 reviews on Homeaway, 9 on Airbnb. Only 2 reviews are 4 star. The rest are 5 star. The reason I have one is people are not there to watch tv they are there to spend time together and out on the Lake or at the dock. I personally like it that way when I have my friends and family there with me.

If you don't have a true VRBO and have a place in town then people might like a tv in each room better.

User Stats

Votes
Travis Rasmussen
  • Realtor
  • Murrieta, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Murrieta, CA
Replied May 28 2018, 14:15

Here's the bigger question--have you gotten a security camera for the property? As most STR hosts will probably attest to--the moment you had your first "party" you never want one again. Not just for the setting up costs, but the process to get reimbursement is one of the biggest pains you will go through.

Travis Rasmussen

Real Estate Agent and Superhost for Airbnb

User Stats

Votes
Brian G.
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Nov 25 2019, 18:23

@Travis Rasmussen are you encouraging or discouraging use of a camera in your post above? Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Joey Morea
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Nov 25 2019, 18:43

Tvs are so cheap now I would get one for every room. I recommend the tcl with built in Roku. They are like 250 a pop for a 4K smart 50 inch tv crazy! I have 8 of them. I get guest comments that they love the tvs since they can stream whatever they want. The other plus if you stick with same brand tv the remote can be interchangeable so you don’t have to worry as much about not being able to use it as they can just use a remote from another room till they find it. And replacement remotes for the TCL are like 7 a piece.

User Stats

Votes
Travis Rasmussen
  • Realtor
  • Murrieta, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Murrieta, CA
Replied Nov 25 2019, 19:43
Originally posted by @Brian G.:

@Travis Rasmussen are you encouraging or discouraging use of a camera in your post above? Thanks.

Wow, I think my reply was in the wrong thread! Lol. But to answer you question on cameras--Yes, I have them posted at the entrances to the property. Usually at the entryway and back door entrance. 

User Stats

Votes
Brian G.
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Nov 27 2019, 23:03

@Travis Rasmussen what cameras do you use and why? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Brian G.
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Nov 27 2019, 23:27

@Travis Rasmussen do you have to disclose that you have exterior cameras in your listing or do you inform your guests at some point prior to their arrival? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Travis Rasmussen
  • Realtor
  • Murrieta, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Murrieta, CA
Replied Nov 30 2019, 12:24

@Brian G., you have too (and should) in your listing. Also, at least for Airbnb, you need to select it under what guests need to know about your home and have photos of the camera locations in your listing.

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Taveras
  • New Bern, NC
Votes |
  • New Bern, NC
Replied Nov 30 2019, 13:00

@Joey Morea I also use the TCL smart roku tv's. Buy them at Walmart. Fantastic value. Yes, guests love that they can stream whatever they want. We put 55 inch in the living room. 43 inch in all bedrooms. I figure it will occasionally get the kids away from the parents for some down time! Guests seem to love it so far!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 1 2019, 07:24

I'm putting a 60" in the living room, 40" in the Master. I will eventually ad a rec room that will include another 60". nothing in bedrooms 2-4.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Anand S.
  • Plantation, FL
Votes |
  • Plantation, FL
Replied Dec 3 2019, 13:10

My first VR I put a TV in every room. Ended up with 6 TV's each with cable. Since then, I only put a TV in the living and master. No one has complained. I figure if you're on vacation at my homes you'll either be at the beach, pool or bars. 

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Dec 3 2019, 13:42

I keep a larger Smart TV or an HDTV w/Roku in every living room.  Every bedroom has an old style cable tv.  They usually cost $3 at an estate auction.  I'm slowly replacing the old style tv's with smaller or medium sized HDTV when I find a bargain.  All my HDTVs are affixed to a surface.  Nobody can pick one up and walk out with it.

Some of my tenants travel with their own HDTV in order to play video games.  My tenants are refinery contractors, not people on vacation.