• Graham, WA
Votes |
New to real estate investing

Isaac McFarland
  • Contractor
  • Graham, WA
Posted Apr 24 2015, 13:36

Hey bp members,

I am new to this site and new to investing. I am very excited to get started and to see where it takes me. I have been in a general contractor position for 9 years now so naturally I am pulled more towered the fix/flip area. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I am starting to understand the numbers part of it and the forms on this site are amazing but, how do you get started? Funding to be specific.

User Stats

Votes
Josh Bakhshi
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Apr 24 2015, 14:57

Welcome and it's great to see your excitement.  You came up with a great issue from the start.  MONEY.  Basic questions, how's your credit, savings, family...

The good thing is that you are a contractor, so you have something major to offer.  Talk to your past, current and prospective clients.  All of them should have at least one house and I'm sure many have more.  See if they would take you on as a partner where you work for equity.  Think it over and let us know.

Good luck,

Josh

User Stats

Votes
Kelly O'Quinn
  • Property Manager
  • Pleasanton, CA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Pleasanton, CA
Replied Apr 24 2015, 15:07

Hi Isaac, welcome to BP! @Brandon Turner wrote a great book on financing investments, "The Book On Investing In Real Estate With No (And Low) Money Down." Some more good reads are "The Book on Flipping Houses" by @J Scott and "The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to REI." See you around the forums!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Turner#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Brandon Turner#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Replied Apr 24 2015, 20:39

Hey @Isaac McFarland welcome to the site , from another Washington guy! You'll fit in great here, and you'll do awesome in real estate with your contracting background. 

And thanks for the shout out @Kelly O'Quinn! You rock!