Votes
Meredith Bischoff
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
Newbies looking into Airbnb?!?

Meredith Bischoff
  • Jacksonville, FL
Posted Jul 13 2017, 04:52
Good Morning! My husband and I are newbies to investing! Not so new to bigger pockets- I have been listening to the podcast for a few years now but have never really posted on the forums. We are in the process of buying our first investment property and I am currently in a real estate class. Mom and Teacher (me) and military member (husband) by day, real estate agent by afternoon/evening and investor in all the other time. We are super excited to start and will dive into the forums--- any Airbnb forums? We are looking to start there when we rent out our new condo. Hope to hear some feedback and we will definitely search around! Meredith

User Stats

Votes
Myka Artis
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Arlington, TX
Votes |
  • Arlington, TX
Replied Jul 13 2017, 06:29

Hello Meredith! There are plenty of Airbnb forums. Add Airbnb as a keyword and watch the alerts pile up. Airbnb and STR's are very lucrative and great for cash flow. If you want to Airbnb a condo be sure to check any HOA restrictions about STR's. I bought my condo as a STR investment property and had to turn it into a corporate rental because the HOA banned STR's. Good luck with your investing!

User Stats

Votes
Kristal Pecherski
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Aug 8 2017, 18:21
Originally posted by @Myka Artis:

Hello Meredith! There are plenty of Airbnb forums. Add Airbnb as a keyword and watch the alerts pile up. Airbnb and STR's are very lucrative and great for cash flow. If you want to Airbnb a condo be sure to check any HOA restrictions about STR's. I bought my condo as a STR investment property and had to turn it into a corporate rental because the HOA banned STR's. Good luck with your investing!

Hi there, a friend of mine told me she makes a good cash flow by buying studios specifically for Corp Rental. Have you found this to be successful? What platforms are you using?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Matt K.
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Votes |
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Replied Aug 8 2017, 18:32

I've never used it (I don't have this type of property) but I've come across https://www.airdna.co/ seemed interesting idea...

User Stats

Votes
Myka Artis
  • Arlington, TX
Votes |
  • Arlington, TX
Replied Aug 8 2017, 19:42
Originally posted by @Kristal Pecherski:

Hi there, a friend of mine told me she makes a good cash flow by buying studios specifically for Corp Rental. Have you found this to be successful? What platforms are you using?

Yeah buying studios and using them as corporate rentals are great cash flow. I currently do it with my condo and it's been great. I use CHBO, Airbnb, and HomeAway. I get most of my tenants from CHBO though. They usually are staying 2 - 3 months and are very reliable tenants.

User Stats

Votes
Matt K.
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Votes |
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Replied Aug 8 2017, 19:44

Yeah buying studios and using them as corporate rentals are great cash flow. I currently do it with my condo and it's been great. I use CHBO, Airbnb, and HomeAway. I get most of my tenants from CHBO though. They usually are staying 2 - 3 months and are very reliable tenants.

With the cut that the platform gets how does it compare to what you could get from a traditional tennant?

User Stats

Votes
Myka Artis
  • Arlington, TX
Votes |
  • Arlington, TX
Replied Aug 8 2017, 20:33
Originally posted by @Matt K.:

With the cut that the platform gets how does it compare to what you could get from a traditional tennant?

Which platform takes a cut?

User Stats

Votes
Matt K.
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Votes |
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Replied Aug 8 2017, 20:59
Originally posted by @Matt K.:

Which platform takes a cut?

I'd assume they all do to make their money some how or are they all charging the renter? Quick google search tells me Air takes 3% from host and 6-12% from guest.

User Stats

Votes
Myka Artis
  • Arlington, TX
Votes |
  • Arlington, TX
Replied Aug 8 2017, 21:13

Airbnb is a booking platform so yes they will take a cut but I haven't had a long term guest book my corporate rental through Airbnb and I would most likely attempt to meet them in person to avoid an Airbnb long term booking. I just use Airbnb for the free advertisement. My last two renters came from VRBO and CHBO. VRBO takes a cut but I was able to exchange contact information from the renter and put them on a traditional lease and avoid their fees. CHBO is only a listing platform. It's up to you to put them on a lease when getting renters through their platform. I get inquiries through CHBO weekly and this is where a bulk of my renters come from.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Schwartz
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Replied Aug 8 2017, 21:28

So how does CHBO get paid? They just list it for free?

User Stats

Votes
Sam Valme
  • Arlington, VA
Votes |
  • Arlington, VA
Replied Aug 9 2017, 03:42

CHBO gets paid by selling owners annual advertising packages. Take a look at the link below:

https://www.corporatehousingbyowner.com/pricing-to...

User Stats

Votes
Dan Schwartz
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Replied Aug 9 2017, 08:01

Thanks @Sam Valme

User Stats

Votes
Chibuzor Alumba
  • Winnipeg, Manitoba
Votes |
  • Winnipeg, Manitoba
Replied Aug 15 2017, 07:18

Hi Meredith, how did your first investment property purchase go? 

Did you end up setting up an Airbnb operation at that property?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes
Account Closed
  • Wichita, KS
Votes |
  • Wichita, KS
Replied Dec 6 2018, 13:19
@Myka Artis I have flipped a couple houses and I'm selling them on owner carry. I'd really like to do corporate housing but I don't know where to start. What would you recommend as far as size square footage and bedrooms for corporate housing? What type of furnishings would you use? And how much a month or a day would you charge? Generally the 1% rule is a guide for rent. Would you use 3 or 4% of the condo or home value for a corporate house? I am in Wichita Kansas and there is only one property listed on chbo

User Stats

Votes
Jason Sterner
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Sugar Hill, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Sugar Hill, GA
Replied Jan 17 2019, 05:59

@Myka Artis Thank you for your feedback on Corporate rentals. Very helpful. We have the oldest Cabin in Atlanta we are trying STR with but some regulations may shut that down. Looking to go corporate rental route if possible. Our other 7 properties around the city are in no regulated areas right now and do pretty well. We love STR's and help people all over the place get started. It's a lot of work but very rewarding.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 22 2019, 21:37

@Jason Sterner hi Jason I live in Snellville and have been trying to get into STR around the city but have had a hard time finding areas with no regulations. Any suggestions? And do you rent and sublease or buy these properties? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Jason Sterner
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Sugar Hill, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Sugar Hill, GA
Replied Feb 23 2019, 14:05

@Avontae Ramey Thanks for the questions. I get all my referrals by word of mouth and networking with the right crowd (i.e. Local REIAs, meetups, networking with other investors regularly. I created my own system that is performance lease based so I have very little and sometimes no money out of pocket to start my homes. My agreement is not a sublease or rental agreement but a percentage split. I also get the investor or homeowner to furnish the home and provide a financial analysis upfront of what they can expect to make before we even get started. They typically pay me to set up their listing, arrange for cleaning and maintenance teams and run each home like a business and make them passive income in return. I make it a Win-Win for the investor and me. Not just one sided. Send me your email and I can send you an updated list of areas around the city that allow STR's and areas that do not. Thanks for reaching out.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 23 2019, 14:13

@Jason Sterner thanks so much for the advice. I would love that atlantanoblerealty@gmail