New Member from Southern California

30 Replies

Hello Everyone,

My name is Dean, I was born and raised in Aliso Viejo and Laguna Niguel in Orange County California, just an hour north of San Diego and an hour south of Los Angeles. I'm 25 years old, my background is in the action sports industry, I grew up skateboarding, surfing, and snowboarding. I also enjoy playing poker, chess, and golfing. I went to college at Cal State Fullerton and graduated with a BA in Communications. I held several jobs in the retail/wholesale apparel industry particularly in sales and account management. 

I'm currently a residential real estate agent, I got my RE license to learn and get familiar with the local market, thinking I could cross that over into real estate investing. Quickly learned its completely 2 different areas and I want to be focused on investing, my goal is to get started in buy and hold rental properties to create passive income and financial freedom down the line. My only real estate experience is strictly residential helping people buy and sell, I'm looking to move away from that and get into rental property investing. 

I came across BiggerPockets just reading about RE investing online and I absolutely love all the information on here and all the content that the members contribute to. I read as much of the blogs as I can and I constantly listen to the podcasts when I can. I'm excited to join BiggerPockets, get to know the members and start my journey learning about RE investing. Any advice and feedback is greatly appreciated! 

Welcome Dean!  Have you considered selling commercial real estate?  I find the transition from sales to investment is not quite so great there and commissions are larger. Feel free to PM me if you would like more information on this. 

@Dean Ho welcome to BP Dean. Reach out if you are interested in Real Estate Investing in the OC. I flip homes here and have for forty years. God Investing.

@Account Closed Thank you! I haven't given too much thought into selling commercial. I know the commissions can be larger and I see why investing can be difficult because of the peak prices in Southern California right now. However I'm still set on becoming an investor and learning / finding ways to make it work around here. 

Welcome Dean! I'm also a newbie looking to get into investing. We are new to LA as well and we really want to house hack with a duplex/triplex but in LA that's quite hard to find in the $5-600K mark. Does anyone have a recommendation of where else in California to look that's within 2 hours of LA?   

@Todd Shipkey Thank you Todd! 

Oh great, where did you move from before LA?

Currently I am only familiar with the Orange County Market, and you would be hard pressed to find a duplex/triplex in this area for that range. 

Yea I figured that. Possibly looking into areas in the valley. We are still a few years away from our savings goal so plenty of time for research. We were in Sydney before. Very expensive as well and even harder to get into real estate. Much more opportunity in the USA. 

@Dean Ho   Welcome to BP! This is the best place there is to learn about real estate investing. Orange County is a great market, though very expensive. After the market crashed we moved from Shasta County down to O.C. because we knew it would be the first place to rebound. 

We built a new spec house in San Clemente, a duplex in San Clemente, and a house in Capo Beach. They were great deals. We love the area, but for new construction it's a tough one to find vacant land that makes sense. 

Having a real estate license is always a bonus, as it gives you commissions, and access to the listings coming on the market very fast. 

I love that area and would like to do another deal down there one day. I still have family there, in fact, my granddaughter will be graduating from Fullerton this spring. 

Let me know if there's anything I can help you with. 

@Karen Margrave thank you Karen! That's a smart move coming to OC after the crash! It has rebounded, its pretty much back at peak level but we are shifting into a balanced market right now. It is very expensive but the rents are great. That's great you were able to do some deals here I would love to be able to start local then branch out into other markets. Congrats to your granddaughter, titan pride ! And I appreciate the welcoming words
Originally posted by @Dean Ho :

Hello Everyone,

My name is Dean, I was born and raised in Aliso Viejo and Laguna Niguel in Orange County California, just an hour north of San Diego and an hour south of Los Angeles. I'm 25 years old, my background is in the action sports industry, I grew up skateboarding, surfing, and snowboarding. I also enjoy playing poker, chess, and golfing. I went to college at Cal State Fullerton and graduated with a BA in Communications. I held several jobs in the retail/wholesale apparel industry particularly in sales and account management. 

I'm currently a residential real estate agent, I got my RE license to learn and get familiar with the local market, thinking I could cross that over into real estate investing. Quickly learned its completely 2 different areas and I want to be focused on investing, my goal is to get started in buy and hold rental properties to create passive income and financial freedom down the line. My only real estate experience is strictly residential helping people buy and sell, I'm looking to move away from that and get into rental property investing. 

I came across BiggerPockets just reading about RE investing online and I absolutely love all the information on here and all the content that the members contribute to. I read as much of the blogs as I can and I constantly listen to the podcasts when I can. I'm excited to join BiggerPockets, get to know the members and start my journey learning about RE investing. Any advice and feedback is greatly appreciated! 

Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you.

@Todd Shipkey have you looked in the south LA areas, like Jefferson Park, Leimert Park, Windsor Hills, or Inglewood? Or Boyle Heights? Those areas still have duplexes/triplexes in that price range. They would require some work but those areas are seeing higher prices for rents/flips these days. You just have to move fast! Also, a few valley areas like Van Nuys or Encino have that type of inventory, though much more rare to find.
@Dean Ho welcome! I am also an agent in LA and as someone else said, I would consider moving into commercial (which I just did myself). Seems a better fit for those looking to work with investors/as investors. Best of luck to you!

@Dean Ho Welcome to BP!  I also live in Mission Viejo, am an out-of-state multifamily investor and host a real estate investing podcast.  Could grab coffee some morning if you're interested.  Just let me know.

Best,

Bill

@Dean Ho

Welcome to the BP family! Good to have you here! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

Wishing you the best!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you