Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Florida Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Chuck Masters
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Bel Air, MD
Votes |
Short Term Rental Crackdown

Chuck Masters
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Bel Air, MD
Posted

One of my strategies is short term rentals in central Florida. I am looking to purchase my second property in the Clermont FL area soon. The first property is rented out to my daughter and some friends who all work at Disney World. While searching for this property I looked at a house that was a short term rental and I liked the idea so I started researching this market. One day when I get out of the 9-5 job I wish to be a snow bird so having rentals in Maryland and Florida is part of my plan. Anyways last night I came across an article where some counties in central Florida are cracking down on short term rentals in certain neighborhoods because of complaints from the full time residents in their communities. What do others know about this crackdown and is this something to be worried about.

User Stats

Votes
Keith Courtney
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Brokerage/Vacation Homes/Short Term Vacation Home Rental Marketing
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Brokerage/Vacation Homes/Short Term Vacation Home Rental Marketing
  • Orlando, FL
Replied

Chuck -

I have heard very little about a crackdown.  I am certain that Osceola, Lake and Polk counties are not going to change their zoning laws outlawing short term rentals.  They are too valuable for the counties from a tax revenue standpoint.  The new and the established vacation home communities are not going to change their covenants and restrictions to stop short term rentals either - it would devastate sales and income for the homeowners or developers, and they are the ones controlling the HOAs.

You might be hearing about complaints from full time residents in areas where some owners are short term renting their homes in residential areas where the HOAs don't allow them.

Hope this helps.

Keith

The Pro Agent Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chuck Masters
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Bel Air, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Bel Air, MD
Replied

Thanks @Keith Courtney. I will go back and see if I can find the articles I was reading, but I do remember Polk county being mentioned. But I see from your tag line you are in the Brokerage/Vacation Home business so you should know. Do you sell vacation properties to investors and non investors ?

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Keith Courtney
Pro Member
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Orlando, FL
Replied

Yes I do.  I sent you a colleague request.  Feel free to contact me.  I will try to help you in any way that I can.

The Pro Agent Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
John Thedford#5 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Naples, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Naples, FL
Replied

Florida passed laws stopping towns from banning vacation rentals. A HOA or condo assn could have that in place, but new laws being passed by city governments stopping vacation rentals won't happen unless the legislature goes back and amends the law they now have on the books. Laws on the books prior to the state law are still in place in certain areas banning vacation rentals.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Baker
  • Professional
  • Clermont, FL
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Clermont, FL
Replied

We live in Clermont, we own a couple of short-term rentals in Central Florida, and the investors association (the largest non-profit REIA in the nation, CFRI) we belong to has many investors owning the same.  Our association keeps on top of legislative activities and "crackdowns" involving real estate investments, and we have not heard of anything out of the ordinary other than short-term rental taxes having to paid, the usual squatter warnings, etc.

Good luck and happy investing!

User Stats

Votes
Jeff B.
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Votes |
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Replied

Hopefully FL is different than Calif, as many municipalities are defining STR as anything less than 30 days, and start stack all kinds of issues due to traffic & noise in residential areas, lots of business losses to Tax paying motels and the city reacts with such as license fees, business registration and even out right prohibition.

Cities can change zoning regs quickly and do not need State legislation to do so.

User Stats

Votes
John Thedford#5 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Naples, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Naples, FL
Replied

Here is an interesting piece of info: not only can municipalities no longer deny an owner the right to do vacation rentals, but offering vacation rentals ONLY does not require a RE license! So, you can start a property management company, ONLY handle vacation rentals, charges fees, and never have a license. Make sure your properties fall under the the definition of "vacation rentals".