Votes
Jagpreet Singh
  • Queens Village, NY
Votes |
Out of state investment property - Indiana and Kansas

Jagpreet Singh
  • Queens Village, NY
Posted Jan 5 2022, 07:02

Hi BP community! I've been doing some research on land lord friendly states where the cost of entry into an investment property is relatively low (I live in NYC so I'm comparing prices to my local market). I've landed on two states so far that I'm interested in, Indiana and Kansas. Ideally, I'd like to build a relationship with a local buyers agent that can help me find good investments to rent out. I'll also hire a rental property management team to help with the out of state investment.

Any feedback on areas to focus on in either of the two states would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to reach out and connect.

Thanks,

Jag

User Stats

Votes
Alexandra Sales
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
Replied Jan 5 2022, 07:28

Hi @Jagpreet Singh! I am also an out of state investor (live in Chicago and invest in KC). Below is someone I'd recommend! I can send you a few others as well. Send me an email if you have questions. Hope this helps! 

@Steven May <-- agent / investor!

User Stats

Votes
Steven May
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Jan 5 2022, 07:49
Originally posted by @Alexandra Sales:

Hi @Jagpreet Singh! I am also an out of state investor (live in Chicago and invest in KC). Below is someone I'd recommend! I can send you a few others as well. Send me an email if you have questions. Hope this helps! 

@Steven May <-- agent / investor!

Thanks Alexandra! Yes, I'm local here & Happy to chat about opportunities here in KC!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Billy Smith
  • Shawnee Mission, KS
Votes |
  • Shawnee Mission, KS
Replied Jan 5 2022, 08:01

What part of Kansas the burbs of KC is a safe bet if they are not hosing you on numbers .

User Stats

Votes
Riley Quinn
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City Metro
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City Metro
Replied Jan 5 2022, 08:44

Nice! Kansas is great and I am not sure if you would consider Missouri as well, as the Kansas City metro and surrounding suburbs span out to both states. If you're specifically wanting to focus on the Eastern Kansas side that is within the KC metro, Johnson County would be a great starting point to look into (Overland Park, Mission, Roeland Park, Olathe, Prarie Village, Leawood, Shawnee to name a few). Those cities are some of the most desirable ones around KC, but I would expect this would still be a relatively low entry price when compared to NYC. You can get into even lower price points if you explore some Kansas City, KS areas as well (Turner, Muncie areas). If you're looking for more of an appreciation play I would say the Kansas City, MO side has more potential. 

User Stats

Votes
Kendall Short
  • Lender
  • Kansas City, KS
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Kansas City, KS
Replied Jan 5 2022, 09:39

I would add that downtown KCK, East of 7th to 3rd Street is booming. I've got a rental there that is almost done being rehabbed. Couldn't give those away 5-7 years ago, and now it's a 10 offer on day 1 type of area. Lots of new shops, KU Med, Police Department, and a new 8-Story luxury apartment complex in the plans.