• Tampa, FL
Votes |
Real Estate Savvy Lawyer in DMV Area

Josef T.
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Posted Nov 25 2015, 06:07

Hello,

We are currently having issues with our property manager and current tenant regarding on-time rent payments and overall inadequate communication practices.  Despite our best efforts, we have not been able to resolve this and need to begin legal preparations.  Can anyone in the Maryland, DC, Virginia area recommend a lawyer that we can consult?  Thank you.

JT

User Stats

Votes
Justin Pierce
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Woodbridge, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Woodbridge, VA
Replied Nov 25 2015, 06:21

Where is the home located?  Maryland, Virginia and D.C. all have different laws.

Snow Goose Homes LLC Logo
Account Closed#1 BiggerPockets Exclusive PRO Area Contributor
  • Professional Auctioneer
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Account Closed#1 BiggerPockets Exclusive PRO Area Contributor
  • Professional Auctioneer
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Nov 25 2015, 06:22

We are currently having issues with our property manager and current tenant regarding on-time rent payments and overall inadequate communication practices. Despite our best efforts, we have not been able to resolve this and need to begin legal preparations. Can anyone in the Maryland, DC, Virginia area recommend a lawyer that we can consult? Thank you

What is the problem with your manager.....?  Unable to deal with the tenant? NO communicating with you, keep proceeds of rent, poor tenant management.....drinking, drugs........ over charging?

Your tenant, talk to them, find the problem, try to work it out with them (unless they are professional tenants), who checked their references?

When was the last time you were there? Are you an absent landlord?

I see tenants as customers and try to do what I can to keep them happy within reason.

I should say my wife is the caretaker of our tenants, she knows how to work with tenants with payment problems.

I can refer some folks to you; we have been using a Landlord service for years, no need to attend rent court, it is worth the few bucks that they charge.

Where is your rental?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Nov 25 2015, 10:08

There just is not enough information here to provide you with the advice that you need.  Do you need a lawyer as the go between, between you and the PM? That is likely just going to cost you money for no real service. If thats the case, just fire the PM and get a new one.

If the lawyer is to begin the eviction process, again, thats something a new PM can probably handle.

Sueing a PM isnt likely to do much, so you will not have much of a tangible loss. You would likely spend more in lawyer fees than you would be able to recover.

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ray Slack
  • Investor
  • White Haven PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • White Haven PA
Replied Nov 25 2015, 11:18

I agree. Not enough information.. If you need an eviction attorney for Maryland Richard Basile in Greenbelt is the best/Cheapest I've found.

Ray

User Stats

Votes
Justin Pierce
Pro Member
  • Woodbridge, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Woodbridge, VA
Replied Nov 25 2015, 11:22

I've used Richard Basile as well.  That is who I was going to recommend if this was just an eviction but it sounds like it might be more complicated.

Snow Goose Homes LLC Logo