• Rental Property Investor
  • Hudsonville, MI
Votes |
Muskegon, MI Property Management

Robert VanZee
  • Hudsonville, MI
Posted Sep 27 2019, 08:16

I recently expanded my investing footprint to include Muskegon, MI. Anyone have experience/recommendations for Muskegon property management?  The house requires a complete rehab but will be a nice 3 bed/1bath when completed in a few months.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Crumback
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Replied Feb 1 2020, 17:03

@Robert VanZee, It's been 4 months since you posted your question but I'm curious to hear if you found a PM company and how were they?

I attended a local meetup and heard finding a PM company in Muskegon was a difficult task. We were given 3 different companies that some local investors mentioned with 2 of them having somewhat pleasant reviews (communication was the biggest complaint for both). 

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Robert VanZee
  • Hudsonville, MI
Votes |
  • Hudsonville, MI
Replied Feb 2 2020, 09:25
Hi Nathan thanks for the reply. I dont have PM nailed down yet for MKG. The house is 80% rehabbed so PM is on my to do list for this week. Can you tell me the 3 PM companies that were discussed? I use United Properties in GR and they are doing a good job for me.  Also, which meetup in GR?
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Crumback
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Replied Feb 9 2020, 11:32
Originally posted by @Robert VanZee:
Hi Nathan thanks for the reply. I dont have PM nailed down yet for MKG. The house is 80% rehabbed so PM is on my to do list for this week. Can you tell me the 3 PM companies that were discussed? I use United Properties in GR and they are doing a good job for me.  Also, which meetup in GR?

Hey Robert, I only wrote down 2 of the companies as the other one was so bad the investor wouldn't even mention the company's name. 

The two that were mentioned are below. Two investors individually said they had a good/decent experience with PM companies but mentioned the communication fell short of expectations. Might be worth interviewing both to see if they would be a good fit for you. I hope that helps! 

Westshore Property Management

Choice Property Management Solutions LLC

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Hofstee
  • Investor
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied Mar 5 2020, 19:58

I'd also try Lighthouse Property Management, have had a good experience so far!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 7 2021, 19:59

Also considering MKG and also hearing this is an issue. It seems like there is a gap in the market. If someone went out there and did a great job they would get a flood of business. I use PMI West Michigan in GR and they are amazing.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Hofstee
  • Investor
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied Jan 7 2021, 22:40

United Properties of West Michigan is expanding to support Muskegon I believe, could be another good option.

Account Closed
  • grand rapids
Votes |
  • grand rapids
Replied Jan 8 2021, 14:04

We use Westshore Property Management and have been pretty happy with them. 10% mgmt fee (higher than what we pay in GR) but it's not easy to manage properties in muskegon

User Stats

Votes
Morgan Basham
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied May 24 2021, 06:30

@Nathan W. Hi Nathan - came across this thread looking for PM recommendations in Muskegon and had a question about your reply. Why is managing properties there difficult? Is it something about the properties/typical tenants themselves or because there isn’t a PM company that operates out of Muskegon that isn’t just one that mainly operates in another area and has extended its range to include Muskegon? Or none of the above?

Any insight would be really helpful for me as I’m currently looking for a duplex to house hack in either Muskegon or Grand Rapids and plan to hire a PM once I move out. Thanks!

Account Closed
  • grand rapids
Votes |
  • grand rapids
Replied May 28 2021, 13:08

@Morgan Basham difficult bc Muskegon is a lower income market compared to GR or Grand Haven. Generally speaking, higher priced rentals = easier-to-manage tenant

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 28 2021, 13:59

We use BVW and we've been very happy with them