Skip to content
New Jersey Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Helen Schmid
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
What are the "nice" streets in Jersey City neighborhoods?

Helen Schmid
  • Jersey City, NJ
Posted Jul 24 2017, 20:57

Hi all! First post here. My husband and I have been renting in the Grove St, Downtown area for 2 years and are looking to purchase our first property, a rent & hold duplex or triplex where we will be living in one unit and renting the remainder. We're interested in Journal Sq, The Heights, and Bergen Lafayette/Communipaw area. 

I don't think it's possible to "house hack"in this area due to the low cap rates here, but we're looking to save as much rent as possible through a MFH purchase while still feeling "safe" in our neighborhood. We all know that there is a lot of variation street by street and I'd love to know what you think the nicer streets are in each neighborhood. We are adding to our list through lots of biking & walking, but would love to hear your suggestions.

At the top of my head, I have Magnolia St in JSQ, near Central Ave in the Heights, and Astor Place in Bergen Lafayette. I also like the Communipaw area on Pine or Monitor streets near the light rail.

User Stats

Votes
David Weintraub
  • Lender
  • Berkeley, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Berkeley, CA
Replied Jul 25 2017, 06:00

You'll have to drive them.

Even if you go down to JFK there are streets between there and West Side Ave that are nice.

I'd check the Trulia maps and then drive/walk.

You can live more inexpensively at the Beacon, and they have a shuttle.

User Stats

Votes
Helen Schmid
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
  • Jersey City, NJ
Replied Jul 25 2017, 09:51

Yea, I think certain parts of Duncan and Fairmount in that McGinley Sq area are okay, but more condos in that area than MFH townhomes. We will keep exploring. If anyone has any thoughts on other nice streets, please do share :)

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Goldfarb
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Jersey City, NJ
Replied Jul 25 2017, 10:16

Hey, @Helen Schmid -- you've mentioned a few good ones already. There are definitely some more desirable pockets sprinkled in throughout the city. Unfortunately, most of those areas lack inventory in the asset class you're seeking, so when they do come up, you need to be ready to pounce!

I really like the Lafayette section near Communipaw, but there's limited inventory and those that do hit the market fetch a premium. Same goes for The Heights, although that encompasses are larger area and, thus, has more supply in the 2- to 4-family range.

There are some nicer sections on the west side as well, but they're not quite as accessible by public transit (PATH/Light Rail) as those near LSP and in The Heights.

At the end of the day, what's considered "safe" is kind of subjective. Where you draw the line for comfort may be different from where I do. Having said that, there may be a few other blocks worth considering in B/L.

Feel free to PM if you have any other specific questions. I'd also be happy to connect you with my brother, who's an agent in the area and invests locally with me as well. He knows these areas well. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Stan S.
  • NJ
Votes |
  • NJ
Replied Aug 11 2017, 18:02

Any feedback on the foundry condos by LSP? Recommend to buy in this development? 

User Stats

Votes
Johnathan Boyle
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Belleville, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Belleville, NJ
Replied Aug 11 2017, 18:23

Helen Schmid the biggest factor in all this is your definition of safe. If you can clarify that, then I think it may be easier to help.