Votes
Jill Rossi
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Any neighborhoods to avoid in Durham?

Jill Rossi
  • Raleigh, NC
Posted Apr 29 2016, 09:02

I'm looking into flipping lower end homes ($120k ARV ballpark) in Durham. I keep hearing that Durham is a tricky place to invest in. Are there any areas of Durham you would avoid and why?

Thanks!

Account Closed
  • Contractor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Apr 29 2016, 15:23

"Lower end" homes are not usually in great neighborhoods but things are changing a lot in Durham (and Raleigh) too.  Areas that have been rough are getting fixed up.  I work a lot in Durham and really like it.  The bottom line: do your research. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Adam Schneider
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Apr 30 2016, 03:26

@Jill Rossi -- you should look near the Durham Bulls ballpark instead of the ARV ballpark. (Very bad joke--Art Allen is probably wincing). Durham is a tricky place to invest. So are most places that have a lot of transition neighborhoods and streets. If you ride down the street and don't feel safe, don't invest there. If you feel safe, then run numbers and study the recent activity.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes
Account Closed
  • Contractor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Apr 30 2016, 03:34

@Adam Schneider Groan.   :)

User Stats

Votes
Adam Schneider
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Apr 30 2016, 03:36

@Account Closed The coffee hasn't kicked in yet...the jokes will get better throughout the day, my friend!

User Stats

Votes
Jill Rossi
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Apr 30 2016, 17:11

haha, took me a second to get that one ;)  thanks for the advice.  I need to get out and drive for dollars it sounds like.  I'm always appreciative of input.  Thanks for taking the time.