• Attorney
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Not Your Average Call in the Middle of the Night

Steven J. Umaña
  • Attorney
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Aug 20 2019, 17:31

How's this for a real estate investor/landlord story. I currently own a duplex with units that are side by side with driveways that slope down into the first level garage/basement. The duplex is at the end of a"T" intersection. A few weeks ago, I get a call from one of my tenants that a car has RAN INTO THE DUPLEX. Now, I've heard some pretty funny "tenant diagnoses" of maintenance issues with the property over the years, but I was pretty sure that my tenant couldn't have been misdiagnosing this one.

Apparently, someone decided to have 1 to 75 too many drinks and drove a Buick Enclave right through the garage door, through the garage, through the garage wall and into the basement. I don't know how they managed to go directly into the garage of just one of the units and not hit the other car in the driveway. It also appears from the picture that they didn't miss the fusebox by much. Even luckier, the tenants who live in this unit were on a spur of the moment vacation and didn't have their car in the driveway. There were no injuries (including the driver, amazingly?) which is the best news of all. Well, unless you count the huge headache that this has caused...

Loading replies...