Pennsylvania Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Juliem Vann
Votes |
no rental certificate

Juliem Vann
Posted Jan 17 2021, 13:23

tenant is being allowed to live in my property for free because I don't have a rental suitability certificate i cannot get one because all history has been deleted by license and inspection how can I evict this tenant told she praus on senior landlords certificate was located in cabinet when she moved in change locks 

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Jan 17 2021, 14:39

This sounds like it’s in Philadelphia.

The certificate of rental suitability is obtained as a download from the L&I website. But that only works for landlords who have a rental license.

So, do you have a rental license in Philadelphia? That is basically step one. At the top of the Philadelphia Forum here on BP you should find a thread that covers what landlords need to provide to tenants.

User Stats

Votes
Sheryl Sitman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jan 18 2021, 06:57

What you indicate does not sound correct - why would L&I delete your "history" and what do you mean by that?  When you rent in Philly, you need to have a Philly tax ID, a Commercial license, a rental license, rental suitability and more.  yup it's a lot, but doable online. If you need to evict and have not taken care of these things, you got a problem. And in any case evictions in Philly for anyone who is not a professional landlord in Philly should probably be handled by a lawyer, especially during COVID.  We have a nice group of Philly landlords here who can offer advice https://www.facebook.com/group...

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Jan 18 2021, 07:27

This is the link I referred to earlier, that lists things required of a landlord in Philadelphia.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/742/topics/508114-documents-you-have-to-provide-to-your-tenants-in-philadelphia

User Stats

Votes
Yuriy Skripnichenko
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Phialdelphia, PA
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Phialdelphia, PA
Replied Jan 18 2021, 07:41

Agree with @Steve Babiak  and @Sheryl Sitman

If you do not know the rules hire a professional to help you deal with this. 

You won’t be able to back date your certificate but you can still generate and deliver a new copy to the tenant. After you'd be able to "collect" rent starting the delivery date.

Cheers,

Yuriy