• Burleson, TX
Votes |
A question about Texas HELOC rules

Christopher Ward
  • Homeowner
  • Burleson, TX
Posted Jan 9 2018, 09:49

Hello, quick question. 

I was told the Texas HELOC loan amount will jump to 75% of your homes appraised value starting in 2018.

However I spoke with Wells Fargo yesterday and they're telling me it's still at 50%. 

Is there any way to get a HELOC in Texas for greater than 50% of your homes value?

Thank you, 

Chris 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Jan 9 2018, 17:06

@Christopher Ward while the law did change for us it doesn't force a bank to make their loans higher.  The bank still has the option of keeping their loan limit where it is.  And the bigger the bank, the more restrictions they have on their loans.  Try some small to mid-sized banks for better results with these products.

Guaranteed Rate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Ward
  • Homeowner
  • Burleson, TX
Votes |
  • Homeowner
  • Burleson, TX
Replied Jan 9 2018, 17:33
Originally posted by @Andrew Postell:

@Christopher Ward while the law did change for us it doesn't force a bank to make their loans higher.  The bank still has the option of keeping their loan limit where it is.  And the bigger the bank, the more restrictions they have on their loans.  Try some small to mid-sized banks for better results with these products.

Thank you 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Ward
  • Homeowner
  • Burleson, TX
Votes |
  • Homeowner
  • Burleson, TX
Replied Feb 5 2018, 10:25

I found a credit union (EECU) That does 80% heloc loans without appraisal and no closing costs. They go off the county tax appraisal number. 

5 year draw period but the payments are interest only. Of course you can always pay down principal without prepayment penalties.