Huntsville Zip Codes

Huntsville Zip Codes

Investor · Cross Plains, TN · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 12 votes

Can anyone help get me started on the Huntsville Market. I have one rental in Birmingham but wanted to expand my search to Huntsville. Looking for B class properties, SFR or Multi. Can anyone suggest some zip codes or areas to start searching? Or some areas to definitely avoid? Thanks for your help in advance!

5Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 361 posts · 296 votes
8y

Hi @Daniel Highsmith , 

one of my favorite websites is the ESRI.com Zipcode lookup. It provides data/stereotypes for different neighborhoods. It helps give you a feel for the neighborhood, as in the type of resident.

http://www.esri.com/data/tapestry/zip-lookup

Example: 35801

Exurbanites
33.0%
Approaching retirement, we're empty-nester, married couples, or have no kids. Our lifestyle is cultured and urbane; we support the arts and public radio/TV. We go online for everything.
Click for More Details
Emerald City
12.7%

Young, mobile, well-educated, and well-employed, we are more likely to rent in low-density, urban neighborhoods throughout the country. We go online for professional networking, online dating, and blogging. We buy natural, organic, or environmentally-friendly products.
Click for More Details

Set to Impress
7.9%

We are young, either still in college or working, and renting apartments in large multiunit buildings in the city or the suburbs. We still keep in close touch with family. We are very image conscious and often buy clothes impulsively to look good. We are really into music.
Click for More Details

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 361 posts · 296 votes
    8y

    Hi @Daniel Highsmith , 

    one of my favorite websites is the ESRI.com Zipcode lookup. It provides data/stereotypes for different neighborhoods. It helps give you a feel for the neighborhood, as in the type of resident.

    http://www.esri.com/data/tapestry/zip-lookup

    Example: 35801

    Exurbanites
    33.0%
    Approaching retirement, we're empty-nester, married couples, or have no kids. Our lifestyle is cultured and urbane; we support the arts and public radio/TV. We go online for everything.
    Click for More Details
    Emerald City
    12.7%

    Young, mobile, well-educated, and well-employed, we are more likely to rent in low-density, urban neighborhoods throughout the country. We go online for professional networking, online dating, and blogging. We buy natural, organic, or environmentally-friendly products.
    Click for More Details

    Set to Impress
    7.9%

    We are young, either still in college or working, and renting apartments in large multiunit buildings in the city or the suburbs. We still keep in close touch with family. We are very image conscious and often buy clothes impulsively to look good. We are really into music.
    Click for More Details

  • Investor · Cross Plains, TN · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 12 votes
    8y
    Nathan Platter that’s great info! I’ll check it out. Thanks!
  • Orinda, CA · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    @Nathan Platter great resource, thank you 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Daniel Highsmith I know this is an old post from a few years back, but trying to research the Huntsville market for opportunities in the MF space and wanted to see if you had been able to get some background on zip codes in Hunstville to invest in/avoid? Looking at B-/C+ neighborhoods. Thoughts would be appreciated. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @Jamie Shah I’m a local investor and agent. I’d be happy to talk with you more about Huntsville and how it relates to the rental market.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fremont, CA · Member since 2016 · 298 posts · 222 votes
    6y

    Hi @Jamie Shah!

    I am OOS investor in Hunstville from Bay Area. HSV does not have a lot of MF deals right now. Most of the small MFs are concentrated in some areas. 

    We have a bay area HSV investors google group that is very active. I would be happy to add you. PM me with your email id and I can add you to that group. 

    Hope this helps.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Gorden Lopes that would be great. Sending you a DM shortly and would appreciate you adding me. Thanks! 

  • Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    6y
    Hello, I am a newbie  to RE investing living in Bay Area. sending  a connect request your way to include me in your grp, plz.

    thank you


    Originally posted by @Gorden Lopes:

    Hi @Jamie Shah!

    I am OOS investor in Hunstville from Bay Area. HSV does not have a lot of MF deals right now. Most of the small MFs are concentrated in some areas. 

    We have a bay area HSV investors google group that is very active. I would be happy to add you. PM me with your email id and I can add you to that group. 

    Hope this helps.

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Deborah McDonough - I’m very interested in investing in Huntsville. Would you have some time for a call?

  • Investor · San Francisco Bay Area, CA · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Gorden Lopes

    Salil, from Fremont, CA. Would love to be part of the bay area HSV investors google group. Please do add me if you can!

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    @Gorden Lopes yet another bay area resident looking into the Huntsville market. Would really appreciate if you could add me to the group as well.

  • Huntsville AL · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Daniel Highsmith the market here is crazy there's nothing to buy.

  • Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 45 votes
    5y

    There’s a Zoom call slated for 6 Feb at 1830 CST to do some brainstorming and info sharing on the Huntsville market in general. All are welcome   

    Zoom link is: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6797920878

    Regards

    Shawn

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Can I be added to the Bay Area group??I live in bay but grew up in Decatur. Thanks!

  • Lindsay DavisBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2019 · 322 posts · 200 votes
    5y

    We’ve got several properties in the Huntsville area, as far as zip codes go I would recommend taking a look at 35803, 35810 N, 35810 S, and 35816. I’d also suggest taking a look at Athens, Decatur, and Madison. We like these zip codes for several reasons- property appreciation, high renter populations, good employment numbers, and relatively low barriers to entry compared to high dollar markets.

  • Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2015 · 181 posts · 136 votes
    5y

    I would recommend ignoring @Lindsay Davisadvice and avoiding 35810, unless you like high risk low reward properties with lots of hassle.

  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2018 · 577 posts · 864 votes
    5y

    @Peter McDonough - 2 years ago, I would have completely agreed with you.  But there are now pockets of 35810 that have really changed, and are closer to B neighborhoods than C/D neighborhoods.  A lot of money has come into parts of 35810 (similar to Lowe Mill but to a lesser scale) in the last year or so, and house prices and rents have notably gone up in response. 

    That said, 35810 is not a zip code for the OOS investor who doesn't either have a good team on the ground or has visited the property itself.  4 blocks in this zip can be the difference between a B and a D neighborhood.  

  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2018 · 577 posts · 864 votes
    5y

    @Lindsay Davis - I find 35803 and 35816 to be very different investment plays - sure, both can work (let's be honest - any zip in North Alabama seems to have potential right now).  But, for OOS investors, they are very different neighborhood classes.  

    35803 is typically solid B neighborhoods, with some A neighborhoods as well.  Everything going for well over asking with multiple offers.

    35816?  10% B neighborhoods, and the rest is C and D.  Still seeing properties in this zip code for sale at 50k to 100k routinely.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 116 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    35801 is good for rental. I own a property  there and it has been cash flowing.

  • Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Gorden Lopes

    Hey Gordon,

    I am also local in the Bay Area and invest in the Huntsville area! My wife and I just closed on our 3rd home in the area and would love to join the google group!

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Lindsay Davis:

    We’ve got several properties in the Huntsville area, as far as zip codes go I would recommend taking a look at 35803, 35810 N, 35810 S, and 35816. I’d also suggest taking a look at Athens, Decatur, and Madison. We like these zip codes for several reasons- property appreciation, high renter populations, good employment numbers, and relatively low barriers to entry compared to high dollar markets.

    How do you think Huntsville would do for AIrBNB/VRBO? Any particular zip codes?

  • Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2015 · 181 posts · 136 votes
    5y

    Airbnb in Huntsville isn't worth your time.  People don't come here for vacation, they come for 3-5 year army tours or to work on/around the Arsnenal on a government contract.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 116 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    Any ideas on new market for investment property?

  • Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2015 · 181 posts · 136 votes
    5y

    Don't waste your time there either.  People with the engineering jobs barely want to live in Huntsville, and definitely not out in the sticks.

  • Property Manager · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2017 · 302 posts · 246 votes
    5y

    @Mora Clark New Market is doing quite well for rentals.  I have an investor who bought one very recently, and it was rented in under a day.  I've got more coming in that area.  As far as living outside of the city limits, that's something that some potential tenants look for. I manage several in Harvest, Athens, Toney....outlying areas around Huntsville, and have great success with renting them, some even above market.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.