Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Amanda Green
  • New to Real Estate
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Bought an Elephant at Auction…. Now what?

Amanda Green
  • New to Real Estate
  • Columbus, OH
Posted

Hi.

First time on the forum though been following the podcast for a few years. 

So last week I did something truly dumb. I bought a massive [9,000 sqft +basement] old [est.1900] building [church] at an online auction, site unseen.

This was my first time buying anything from an online auction, technically first time bidding on something. I was honestly surprised that it was “that” easy.

It is about an hour's drive from my house now and I justified it as a BRRR type deal… but honestly I just think I bite off more than I can chew. I was renovated somewhere in the late 1980's and re-zoned to Residential. It's got great bones and potential but I'm just at a loss as to how to move forward.

How to find investors to build this into a multifamily, niche/unique, building? I am open to flipping it too, anyone in Dayton? 😅

User Stats

Votes
Randy Person
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Xenia, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Xenia, OH
Replied

Hi Amanda.  You might consider joining Dayton Real Estate Investors Group on Facebook.  If you were bidder 5999, there was some discussion about your church in that group and you might find someone interested in your project there.

Good Luck

User Stats

Votes
Darrin Carey
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Dayton, OH
Replied

@Amanda Green, It's a cool building with lots of potential. 
I had a couple people ask me about funding the purchase & renovation, so I am familiar with the project. There are multiple options for the property, the hardest part may be deciding which one to pursue.
@Randy Person had a good suggestion, tap into the local Real Estate Investor group at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DaytonRealEstateInvesting, you'll find a lot of locals there happy to discuss with you. I'll be at the COREE meeting on Tues March 5, you can chat with me there also.

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
The future of property management is here! Automate rent, repairs, and listings & get 70% more free time back in your life!

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied
Quote from @Amanda Green:

Hi.

So last week I did something truly dumb. I bought a massive [9,000 sqft +basement] old [est.1900] building [church] at an online auction, site unseen.

This was my first time buying anything from an online auction, technically first time bidding on something. I was honestly surprised that it was “that” easy.

It is about an hour's drive from my house now and I justified it as a BRRR type deal… but honestly I just think I bite off more than I can chew. I was renovated somewhere in the late 1980's and re-zoned to Residential. It's got great bones and potential but I'm just at a loss as to how to move forward.

How to find investors to build this into a multifamily, niche/unique, building? I am open to flipping it too, anyone in Dayton? 😅

lol bro, what are you gonna BRRRR a church into?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied
Quote from @James Wise:

Hi.

I would become a pastor, raising money for crypto. Here is the model I would follow:

Pastor claims God told him to create $3.2M INDX cryptocurrency scheme (usatoday.com)

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied
Quote from @Chris Seveney:
Quote from @James Wise:

Hi.

I would become a pastor, raising money for crypto. Here is the model I would follow:

Pastor claims God told him to create $3.2M INDX cryptocurrency scheme (usatoday.com)

I'd sell miracles Sub2.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Hey @Amanda Green, there are some great real estate groups in Dayton. A Google or Facebook search might yield some good resources.

I will post in the BP classifieds about this project to see if that helps.

User Stats

Votes
Edward Barrett
  • New to Real Estate
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Dayton, OH
Replied

First, I thought about renting it out to a church, but looking at tax code I think it would be better to flip to a church. You don't get the tax benefits unless you own and operate the church. Just a wild guess but I'm betting you don't want to operate a church.

https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-5709.07
(A) The following property shall be exempt from taxation:

(3) Real property owned and operated by a church that is used
primarily for church retreats or church camping, and that is not used as
a permanent residence. Real property exempted under division (A)(3) of
this section may be made available by the church on a limited basis to
charitable and educational institutions if the property is not leased or
otherwise made available with a view to profit.