What would you do with a million dollars?

What would you do with a million dollars?

Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes

If you had a million dollars and it was the only million you had sitting in a money market account drawing less than 1% per year how would you invest it?

3Reply
662 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y

Here's a great (and real) story about dead equity;

4 very astute investors were invited to speak on a panel back in 2008 when the real estate market was in a free fall.

An extremely well connected and respected hard money lender, the California king of REO properties, a syndicator and a landlord / wholesaler.

The moderator asked each person "what are you doing now to make money?" 

The hard money lender went on and on about buying properties at auctions, REOs and short sales and then dealing with low appraisal values, fighting banks trying to get their buyers loans funded and all these other problems.

The REO King had just as long of a story. He was out hustling every day looking at foreclosed homes, writing up and submitting offers, dealing with agents and banks.

The syndicator also went on and on about struggling to discover the true value of inventory he was considering buying and then fighting appraisers on the resale side.

Finally, about 30 minutes later, we get to the landlord. The moderator asks, "And what are you doing to make money in this market?" He holds the microphone close to his mouth, glances to the side at the other three panelists, sits up straight, and says, "Collecting rent."

It was my rental portfolio that got me through those lean years as well. Values were sky high, even when I bought some of those houses, but I held on. I dug my nails in and held on. Values plummeted and rents went down a bit too. I kept hanging on. Then, the market calmed. Things started picking up. Values slowly creeped up and rents went right along for the ride too. I still own every house I bought pre-2008. They are all worth more than what I paid for them back then. My rents are higher. I was able to refinanced several into better 30 year, low interest fixed rate loans and now my cash flow is much better. 

The market will surely hatchet my equity again in the future. Does it make sense to cash them all out and try to rebuy back in at a lower price? Maybe. Will I be able to get the same quality in the same neighborhoods and lock up the financing I have? I doubt it. 

So, in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with some "dead equity" on the side as long as that equity is producing enough income to meet your needs. Think of it as an insurance policy. You might be getting a low return, but if you can spend every day doing exactly what you want to do and not have to think about it, is a double digit return necessary? My ROE on some of my properties is horrible. But, that money shows up month after month after month. If I take that money out, I am risking it no matter what I do with it. Locked up in a well located property is a pretty safe place regardless of what the economy is doing. 

Every person on the planet needs three things to survive: food, water and shelter. Well, I don't have much of a green thumb and I think people can find water if they really need it. So, I don't mind being in the shelter business even if the returns aren't all that great. I can always do other things to make bigger checks.

See this reply in the discussion

141 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes
    11y

    I'd buy 1000 houses in Detroit and suburbs!

    Would they all perform as well as the one I bought for $806 all in last December that was rented to a 3 1/2 year tenant for $650 per month? Probably not but it would still be an investment with returns you could duplicate NO WHERE else for the for seeable future. In BOTH appreciation AND cash flow.

  • Contractor · Columbus ohio · Member since 2015 · 90 posts · 42 votes
    11y

    I would use it for fix and flips here in michigan until it was doubled and then use half for buy and hold and half for flips til doubled again....then move into higher number of units buy and hold and keep doubling in this fashion.

  • Real Estate Investor · Cornelius, NC · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    I agree with you Kevin, I would do the same thing. I think that's one of the best ways to get a more than decent return on your investment.

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    11y

    @Richard Dunlop, @Account Closed, Wow! these are some really great ideas. However, I live in California and don't know anything about the Michigan RE market other than it's very depressed as you have indicated. 

    Additionally, I wouldn't feel comfortable about investing in an area that I couldn't readily manage myself on a day to day basis and I don't know anyone in that area that I would trust to partner with at this time.

  • Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2015 · 377 posts · 200 votes
    11y

    I would keep $100k in a money market.

    I would take $500k to use as a private lender.  I would hope to turn the money at least twice a year.

    I would set aside $200k for BRRRR (did I get the letters right?)

    I would invest the remainder in the stock market.

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    11y

    @Hugh Ayles, Not sure what BRRRR means but I'm liking what you're saying about the overall distribution with the exception of putting more than about 10% in the stock market. Especially right now.

    It was easy money back in '09 when the market tanked by more than 50 t0 75%. If you could fog a mirror and had money in the market you made bank. But that ride is over. Now ti's a little different story. 

    The market has peaked by comparison and new potential bubbles or at least corrections are looming. Just my 3 cents worth adjusted for inflation. LOL!

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Dania, FL · Member since 2013 · 148 posts · 34 votes
    11y

    Diversify my portfolio and put the money to work in various methods.. 

  • Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2015 · 377 posts · 200 votes
    11y

    @John Arendsen

    I was referring to buying distressed property, renovating it, doing a cash out refi and then renting it.  This is a play for accumulating rental property.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 82 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    I would buy properties in San Diego & Miami with the purpose of turning them into AirBnB rentals. 

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    11y

    @Hugh Ayles, I'd love to do some fix and flips, however, the San Diego or California market is pretty well played out. Starting to look more like fix and flops nowadays. But thanks for your comment.

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    11y

    @Elliot Lamson, That's a real good idea and one that I've been doing some serious thinking about. We already own a few in some North San Diego Beach communities that we're thinking about doing that with. Do you have direct hands on experience with this type of investing?

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    11y

    @Mitchell L., Well, so enlighten me. What do you mean by "various methods"?

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Dania, FL · Member since 2013 · 148 posts · 34 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @John Arendsen:

    @Mitchell L., Well, so enlighten me. What do you mean by "various methods"?

     Lend some, use some for flips, use some buy and holds, etc...

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 82 posts · 25 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @John Arendsen:

    @Elliot Lamson, That's a real good idea and one that I've been doing some serious thinking about. We already own a few in some North San Diego Beach communities that we're thinking about doing that with. Do you have direct hands on experience with this type of investing?

    I have two places now in LA that i rent and then sublet them on Airbnb. I plan on accruing a dozen more in LA and Brooklyn in the coming months. I have a friend who has bought 13ish homes in the last year all over the country only to use them for short-term rentals. He's in the middle of raising a fund to acquire another 25 homes or so. A great website is AirDNA it breaks down statistic you need for a certain area. I think now is the time to take advantage of the popularity of AirBnB, and if you do it right you can see great returns. PM me if you have anymore questions. Good Luck!! 

  • Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @John Arendsen:

    If you had a million dollars and it was the only million you had sitting in a money market account drawing less than 1% per year how would you invest it?

    At this point in the cycle here in CA (I'm just down the road from you), I would do the following with the real-estate portion of the overall portfolio:

    1. Take the $1M and build a muni bond portfolio to borrow against.  That locks up $200k.

    2. Keep $300k semi-liquid in your choice of cash-like investment (something that can be turned to cash in <3 days.

    3. Diversify $500k into chunks of syndicated real estate projects in various markets and time lengths.

    4. Opportunistically buy when a local deal presents itself, leveraging the cash position in #2.

    Expect total pre-tax returns in the range of 13% ("low" risk) to 17% ("medium" risk) and enjoy being totally hands-off your investment portfolio.

    Now, if you WANT to have things requiring your attention every day, I'd take #3 and #4 and go much more active either in our area or out of state, depending on long term goals.

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    11y

    @Elliot Lamson, I'm very impressed that you are actually sub-letting your own rentals. Obviously there are no sub-letting or vacation rental restrictions or stipulations on these properties. 

    I'll look into that link you so kindly forwarded to me. Thank you once again for some very astute and thought provking ideas.

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    11y

    @Justin R., Wow! great info. Where abouts are you in SD? Perhaps we could meet for coffee sometime. Thanks for the great breakdown. It really makes a lot of sense and looks like it has the potential to make some dollars as well. Look forward to meeting you sometime.

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    $80k-20% down payment on a $400k property with land as my primary residence. Rent out my existing residence. Cash flow around $500/month

    $70k-Cash/savings

    $150k-Paper assets (Mostly stocks)

    $600k-Down payments on multi-family properties, SFR, and Air Bnb properties.

    $100k-Property reserves

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    11y

    @Luka MilicevicThanks for the HU! Those are some great fundamental ideas.

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @John Arendsen:

    @Luka MilicevicThanks for the HU! Those are some great fundamental ideas.

     It's funny that you ask this question because I think I've asked it 1000 times to my friends. I probably ask my wife every week what she would do with a million dollars.

    It's very interesting seeing everyone's responses.

  • Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 904 votes
    11y
    Depends on how active or passive of an investment you are looking for. You could buy from foreclosure and tax Lien auctions. Rehab and sell. Lend private money/hard money. And not necessarily related to real estate you could do short term loans like contract funding or factoring. I do a combination of all of the above.
  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @John Arendsen Being builder/developers, I would put it in on a project. Either SFR, MFR, or a medical office project we want to do.

    I'd also consider using it to help finance the properties we are completing, and keep them for vacation rental properties. They're ideally situated for that use, and the area brings in high dollar amounts on rentals. 

    For your purposes, I would say, stay in California, not too far from home. I know there's the out of state crowd that touts our high prices, but at the same time, there's a reason prices are high. There's various options on types of properties, depending on what you like. That amount of money allows you to get in on various types of properties, partner with others, etc.  Here's the reason I love this area, and why we relocated here when the market crashed.

    Southern California:

    • Strong, broad based economy
    • Perfect year round weather
    • Strong property values
    • High demand
    • Some of the best universities, colleges, medical facilities, sports teams, recreation, amusements, beaches, shopping, etc. available anywhere
    • Good property appreciation
    • Vacation rentals often provide strong cash flow, and demand top rental amounts
    • Qualified renters, buyers, etc. 

    Need I go on? Where else has all of these benefits? 

  • Sales · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Invest in a Real Estate and a Tech company

  • Investor / Contractor · Aliso Viejo, CA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 10 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @John Arendsen:

    If you had a million dollars and it was the only million you had sitting in a money market account drawing less than 1% per year how would you invest it?

    In a way that turned it into 2 million, then 4 million and so on.

    Einstein said the 8th wonder of the world was the power of compounding.

    That's good enough for me.  :)

    Simple.

  • Real Estate Broker · Johns Creek, GA · Member since 2009 · 870 posts · 664 votes
    11y

    John. The answer depends where u think we are in the economic market cycle. If your opinion is that we are in the midst of major deleveraging taking place like 1929,1937,2000-2002,2007-2009,or 2015-?, I would do absolutely nothing and continue to collect just 1% on your million in the short term as cash is scarce and becomes more valuable during deflationary times. u would then look to pick up distressed assets when the dust settles.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.