Votes
Charles Wilson
  • Hearne, TX
Votes |
Taking property out of Sol 401k

Charles Wilson
  • Hearne, TX
Posted Apr 22 2016, 10:38

I have purchased property with funds from my Sol 401k. I own 4 properties out right in my Sol-k. Is there a way to take the property out of the Sol 401k. I understand that there will be taxes that have to be paid. But there should not be any penalties because I am over sixty. For example I paid cash for a condo, would like to take out of Sol-k and own as personal to take tax advantages. Is this something that would be possible? Are is there a better way to increase ROI. Also thought about taking out a non-recourse loan and using that loan money to purchase partial mortage notes with that money. Trying to think outside the box anyone with any ideas?

User Stats

Votes
Brian Eastman
Pro Member
  • Self Directed IRA & 401k Advisor
  • Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Self Directed IRA & 401k Advisor
  • Wenatchee, WA
Replied Apr 22 2016, 10:54

@Charles Wilson

Taking the property out of the Solo 401k probably does not help financially.  You will have the property appraised, and then distribute the property in-kind to yourself.  You will then owe taxes on the distribution.  Taking a large value from your 401k all at once could impact your tax rate for the year severely.  The cost of doing this likely far outweighs the tax benefits of personally owning rental property that you would gain.

Leveraging the properties in the Solo 401k to create some liquidity for additional investments would likely be a better strategy, so long as the spread between what you are paying in interest on the non-recourse mortgage and the interest you can earn lending the money is sufficient.  This becomes a risk-reward evaluation that you will want to take a close look at.

User Stats

Votes
Charles Wilson
  • Hearne, TX
Votes |
  • Hearne, TX
Replied Apr 22 2016, 11:03

Thanks Brian for getting back to me so quickly.  I am looking at selling properties with owner financing.  This should free up some cash for other investments and still have a return with out loan payment.  If you have anyother suggests they would greatly be appreciated.  Trying to great create the greatest cash flow I can.  Looking to retire in 1.5 years

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Dmitriy Fomichenko
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Replied Apr 22 2016, 11:05

Charles, you can do that as what's known "in-kind distribution". Contact your 401k provider firm for assistance and guidance on this process.

In light of Brian's comments above, if you are willing to take the tax hit on the distribution - you may want to consider converting portion of your 401k into a Roth (you would have to pay the same tax rate), however from this point on all the income from the property will be tax-free for the rest of your life.

I am not a CPA so be sure to consult with a qualified tax professional. 

User Stats

Votes
Charles Wilson
  • Hearne, TX
Votes |
  • Hearne, TX
Replied Apr 22 2016, 11:13

Thanks Dmitriy,

I have already converted some of an IRA I have to a Roth to purchase mortgage notes. But I understand that you cannot take distributions from the Roth for 5 years with out paying a 10% penalty. I like the "Tax Free for Life"

User Stats

Votes
Chris Eaker
  • Buy and Hold Investor
  • Knoxville, TN
Votes |
  • Buy and Hold Investor
  • Knoxville, TN
Replied Jun 8 2016, 09:46

The Flipnerd podcast #299 talks about a way to get property out of your 401K without a tax penalty. 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Nolan
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Carlsbad, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Carlsbad, CA
Replied Jun 13 2016, 10:09

@Charles Wilson

The following IRS link covers the Roth IRA distribution rules.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590b/ch02.html

See also the following comparison chart. 

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/roth-comparison-chart