• Flipper/Rehabber
  • NC
Votes |
Thought leadership platform

Darius Howell
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • NC
Posted Dec 24 2018, 08:01
Hello, Everyone enjoying Christmas eve? I know I am! I'm looking for some good advice on how to start thought leadership platforms, podcasts, or youtube channels dealing apartment syndication! Also looking to start a meet up group. While I'm excited for the journey in apartment syndication. I know the path to success will have up and downs. It will take money, TIME (most important thing to me, as a husband and father of four), patients, relationship building, and the key is consistency. I wholesale for 3 years and done it 2 years full and recently flip a house. I've never really been apart of any meetups and never started and of the above references. Any thought or advice on how to start this process and get people to take me seriously. I know I'm young and inexperienced but I'm learning the field and reading books the one I'm doing right now is "Best Ever Apartment Syndication book" by Joe Fairless and Theo Hicks. Also looking information up on YouTube as well. I'm hoping to get mentored by joe. Now this is no knock to anybody else that may be a mentor just his business fit my goals and criteria. If anybody has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again and have a merry Christmas everyone.
Account Closed
  • Lender
  • Pensacola, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Pensacola, FL
Replied Dec 24 2018, 09:58

When I started a business back in 1990 (which failed after a year, but I learned more about business in those 12 months than I ever learned in business school or Corporate America), I attended local networking events related to my field. I met people who were doing what I wanted to do, but were not direct competitors. I picked their brains, including meeting some for lunch to get their feedback.

A related approach to success is to study the biographies of those who are doing what you want to do. For example, my favorite money show is Wealthtrack.com on PBS. The career path of the founder reveals how she parlayed her experience as a Wall Street analyst and reporter for the Wall Street Journal into her present role as the executive producer and managing editor of her own TV show.

Back in the 2000s, a real estate investor who had done a couple of successful real estate deals decided she wanted to meet other locals doing real estate and started the San Jose Real Estate Investors Club (the club still exists, but the founder has moved on). I attended many meetings, which were held at various restaurants and charged money to cover their cost. I heard many subject matter experts.

In today's world, investment podcasts I've heard ask their listeners to rate them on iTunes and like them on Facebook (among other sites). Doing Meetups and podcasts is so easy now that getting noticed is the hard part. The more Likes you receive, the higher you'll appear on search engine results and the more likely you'll be able to convince sponsors to give you money to mention their name and services.

My takeaway from these observations is it helps if you have a flair for self-promotion, which is something I lack. When it comes to fame and fortune, others can have the fame. I want the fortune, which I've discovered I can get by working quietly behind the scenes.

User Stats

Votes
Kay Kay Singh
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fort Wayne, IN
Votes |
  • Fort Wayne, IN
Replied Dec 24 2018, 16:56

@Darius Howell Eat the Elephant bite at a time that means you would need to do all the things that you have mentioned in your post but you need to do it one at a time. I do not think at this stage you need to spend so much money to hire a mentor but start learning yourself first .You already have started with a good book by Joe .Attend some boot camps ,read some books and join some multifamily meetups near you or online and then start making your list of investors, gather your team ,start underwriting deals and when you are ready to buy then hire a Mentor and Joe Fairless is a very good experienced mentor.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Darius Howell
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • NC
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • NC
Replied Dec 25 2018, 06:43
@Roger Steciak I believe That's something I would like to do. Regarding staying behind the scenes and be able to acquire wealth. However I know gettimg out of my comfort zone is necessary in order to achieve the level of success that I desire to be at. However the tips you gave and advice you presented is not falling on deaf ears. I greatly appreciate you taking time out of your day or night on Christmas eve to respond to me. Merry Christmas!

User Stats

Votes
Darius Howell
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • NC
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • NC
Replied Dec 25 2018, 06:51
@Kay Kay Singh Thanks for the advice and time you spent to write the post. What you said is very accurate about one step at a time. Also looked into groups around Charlotte surrounding areas and I have found one I believe bit it doest match with my schedule. So the alternative is to find people in field outside of my market and connect with them like roger said in the post above. That's wht makes me think doing one thing at a time is right but the mentor to start out is the route that best fits my goals and criteria. I appreciate you give your feedback advice it doesnt fall on deaf ears! Merry christmas!

User Stats

Votes
Alina Trigub
Pro Member
  • Glen Rock, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Glen Rock, NJ
Replied Dec 25 2018, 08:39

@Darius Howell

I think @Account Closed gave you a phenomenal feedback. Rome was not build overnight. It takes an effort, dedication, trust and track record to get the Thought Leadership platform built up.  You can shorten your path to progress by partnering up with existing leaders. However this is normally either via paid mentorship program or by adding a tremendous value to such partners first (in other words give, give, give before you can get/ask for something in return!)

As for meetups, podcasts, and leveraging social media in general, it is easier to do these days, but you need to not just do it like everyone else, you need to bring VALUE to your audience so that they would want to continuously listen  to you and brings other listeners in to grow your audience. So start by listening to podcasts with most number of reviews, go to meetups to check out what you like/dislike prior to starting your own. Read up on how other successful people have achieved great results and what they recommend. I suggest you read "Miracle Morning" and "10X rule". I have more books recommendations in general. 

Best!