Skip to content
Innovative Strategies

User Stats

Votes
Robert Collins
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Greenville County SC / Atlanta, GA
Votes |
C & D properties ,I can’t tell the difference help!

Robert Collins
  • Greenville County SC / Atlanta, GA
Posted Oct 17 2019, 18:58

So I’m trying to narrow down what a c area vs d area are . It seem like they are the same, I assume F area would be a war zone or is there a such thing as a F area and that D is the war zone ? I assume C is a low income area but when I was listening to another one of those Clayton Morris podcast & he was talking about he invest in C class area , with Good School zones , 🤔 that’s the part that throws me off cause when I see what I think is a C area on Zillow the school zones are really sucky like the lowest of the low , but maybe I’m looking at this all wrong.

Can someone school me & put me on game

User Stats

Votes
Jill F.
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Replied Oct 17 2019, 19:34

@Dennis M. described it best in another thread, he said: in a D/F neighborhood you can advertise that the apartment is just a short stroll down the litter lined street to the local liquor store.

I think that the presence of recurring and retaliatory gang related violence turns a neighborhood into a 'F' rated war zone. I really don't think Akron has any true "war zones" like some of the bigger cities, but still, there are large parts of the city where I don't buy because there is some (albeit limited) gang activity and I fear that the property might be difficult to exit.

For the last three years, every day I have checked for the location of any shootings in my market so I have a pretty good idea of where the recurring problems are.

Here is a really interesting citylab piece on the nature of urban crime titled, There's No Such Thing as a Dangerous Neighborhood :

https://www.citylab.com/perspe...

User Stats

Votes
Dennis M.#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Erie, pa
Votes |
Dennis M.#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Erie, pa
Replied Oct 18 2019, 01:56

I haven’t found any clearly defined classification rules on grading so it’s subjective 

C class is going To look depressed compared to where most people would want to live Lots of rental houses many homes have falling off gutters and old aluminum siding 10 year old cars some houses may have boards on windows . A lot of lower income people walking around Some vacant lots with high grass just generally an area that isn’t well kept as the more working class areas 

D is like C class but more vacant homes and boarded up windows . Clunker cars higher crime . Drug use ,Street corner businesses that sell booze cigs and lotto tickets .mostl everyone sagging their pants with oversized clothing . Children playing randomly in the street trash on the sidewalks and street .Bars on the doorways random weirdos walking around virtually everyone is on disability mostly all rentals and most of them look bad and needing maintenance . Poorly kept lawns .mostly everyone plays rap music when they drive by . 

F is like D on steroids but with a lot more drugs crime and now much more gang activity ,shootings .hoodlums loitering on corners . Prostitution ,Bars in doors and windows  No nice houses many blighted .very few newer cars . Graffiti on buildings trash everywhere . Very High minority population ( don’t judge it’s a statistical fact in very low income areas)  if you hear about a shooting or drug bust it’s probably going to be in this area . Just at total mess . This area is Usually surrounding public housing assistance complexes . When you drive through here you do it in the day and double check your car doors are locked and you roll windows up 

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
James Galla
  • Attorney
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Akron, OH
Replied Oct 18 2019, 14:48
Originally posted by @Jill F.:

@Dennis M. described it best in another thread, he said: in a D/F neighborhood you can advertise that the apartment is just a short stroll down the litter lined street to the local liquor store.

I think that the presence of recurring and retaliatory gang related violence turns a neighborhood into a 'F' rated war zone. I really don't think Akron has any true "war zones" like some of the bigger cities, but still, there are large parts of the city where I don't buy because there is some (albeit limited) gang activity and I fear that the property might be difficult to exit.

For the last three years, every day I have checked for the location of any shootings in my market so I have a pretty good idea of where the recurring problems are.

Here is a really interesting citylab piece on the nature of urban crime titled, There's No Such Thing as a Dangerous Neighborhood :

https://www.citylab.com/perspe...

I feel like there are shootings in the East Akron neighborhood every week or two. I'd rate that as an F-class neighborhood. Some 14-year-old kid was just shot on his front lawn this week. I don't know whether South Akron is worse than East Akron. When I lived in South Akron, the entire block of homes on the street was burglarized within 1 week, except mine probably because it had a loud dog. Maybe 'battle zones' instead of war zones since it's a smaller metro area.

User Stats

Votes
Jill F.
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Replied Oct 18 2019, 17:32

@James Galla  yeah, I don't buy in east or south akron and whether or not it's a D- or a flat out war zone is probably a judgement call. I have frequently driven through both areas without fear during the daylight hours-- though I once did have to detour due to a shooting near Joy Park Homes going down Kelley. I don't think I'd drive though there late on a weekend night and I wouldn't get out and stroll around mostly for fear of being collateral damage not fear of a personal attack. Perhaps it does deserve an 'F'; it probably at least partly depends on the street. But I wouldn't even drive through parts of east cleveland in the middle of a sunny day. Once many years ago, I got lost on the south side of Chicago and construction workers working on the road hollered at me, telling me that I needed to get out of there fast. Akron is not bad on that level I don't think.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Noto
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Replied Oct 19 2019, 04:55

@Robert Collins The best way to learn what the different areas are is to get out and view properties in your market and figure out what you do/don't want to deal with when it comes to property and tenant quality or lack thereof. Once you do your criteria and areas you want to look in will naturally get more focused.

• Real Estate Agent CT (#RES.0799665)

SalCal Real Estate Connections Logo