Votes
Erin Onsager
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
profit sharing in partnerships

Erin Onsager
  • Denver, CO
Posted Mar 1 2021, 21:20

I've been investing in real estate mostly in Denver (single family homes).  I've been lucky in that I now know the market incredibly well, and usually net $1,000-$1,500 per month per property right out of the gate.  I've recently shared my successes with family and a few close friends and I think I've been doing this long enough and have proven myself that now a handful of people have expressed an interest to join in and also make some money (I don't blame them!).

Previously, I formed a partnership on a property with my cousin - it was my first partnership and I was trying to get her into real estate and take her under my wing, so we did a 95%/5% split and did everything pro-rata.  This was a great deal for her as I did all of the work and she just reaped the financial benefits.  It was less beneficial for me as all of a sudden, I had to pay more to form a partnership, and then pay more in taxes (to file a K-1 every year), and was spending slightly more time keeping the books and paying her her fair share every month.

My question is - going forward, I'd like to be open to partnerships with friends, family, and maybe even strangers, but I want to make sure I'm getting paid for my expertise and my work.  For those of you who are in partnerships or have created partnerships, how do you structure your terms?  I've contemplated doing a promote - where both partners get a pro-rata return on their investment until their original equity is returned and then having 60% go to me and 40% to my partner.  I want to be fair to those who wish to invest with me, but I also don't want to sell myself short and over-extend myself as I realize that the knowledge that I've acquired over the years of investing is valuable.

Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...