Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
San Diego Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ellis Hammond
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Diego
Votes |
Should I adhere to the 1% rule in a low cap rate market???

Ellis Hammond
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Diego
Posted

In a market like southern California where the cap rates are for the most part under 5% it has been very difficult for me to find any type of MF property that meets the 1% rule (rents being at least 1% of purchase price).

Should I just keep looking until I find the needle in the haystack or are there other criteria that is more important when trying to invest in a cash flowing buy and hold investment property? 

User Stats

Votes
Larry Turowski
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Rochester, NY
Replied

@Ellis Hammond These are useful rules of thumb, not hard and fast rules.  What many investors have found is that they will not cash flow on a financed property when the rent is less than 1% of the cost of acquisition plus any rehab costs.

If you are investing strictly for cash flow, then I'd heed their advice.  My rentals are strictly for cash flow and I feel like I need to do a LOT better than 1%.

Cash flow isn't everything, though.  Your net worth can be growing due to equity growth even if the property isn't cash flowing.  If you are an investors who can see around corners, maybe you are investing for the 5yr or 10yr appreciation.  Or maybe a property cash flows like crazy but you'll never sell it for what you bought it for.  These are all factors to consider.

If you are dead set on that market you are going to have to determine what a good deal there is.  Talk to a bunch of local investors.  And be ready to change your strategy.  Maybe it is a better market for flips than holds.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Speculating on appreciation seems to be the most common approach in your market provided you have deep enough pockets to support a negative cash flow property.

Your goal will be to get to the point of liquidating before a market down turn or have the time to ride it out back to positive appreciation.

However based on the present opinion of west coast investors there is no reason to ever anticipate a down turn in your market. The expectation is that appreciation will continue indefinitely.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied

Even in my little town of 40,000 nobody's heard of, appreciation is the largest part of my IRR. That's what matters at the end of the day when all is said and done, your IRR. COC is one metric.

Cash-flow, while necessary for most in the beginning, becomes less important as you grow and mature.  Hinging everything on the hopes of a couple hundred bucks a month for me now seems silly.

I call them value plays.  The tired landlord's wife makes them 'call that guy' because she is sick of picking up after renters' dogs.  She will never again pick up dog crap for a dog that isn't hers. 

The cash-flow?  Not great.  Break-even if I'm lucky during the hold, but from day 366 on... lots of equity to tap or tax-favorable gain to exit with and re-deploy.   

Going under contract to sell the dog crap house, FSBO today. Cash-flow since I bought 2 years ago? Break-even + a little maybe if I include the depreciation offset. BRRRR'd earlier this year for $36k. Additional net gain at sale will be another $40k. (Wouldn't have bothered with the refi, but didn't know the renters were moving out- putting it on my sale list.) My IRR on this one house was 36% per year. Yep, by buying right (be 'that guy') and experiencing appreciation, 72% over 2 years. It's not all about cash-flow.

Not all cheap places are inexpensive.  If the only place to find cash-flow is the other side of the tracks, buy up.  I can get 1%ers in the hood, but they don't appreciate and just give me indigestion.    

It's beneficial to have a good w-2 in expensive markets.  I haven't had one in 14 years, but whoa if I had!  Good luck out there in SD!

User Stats

Votes
Dan H.
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied

I agree with everything that 

@Steve Vaughan

indicated but want to add that duplex to quad cash flow fine when conventionally financed at far below the 1% rule if self managed not including equity pay down and fine when using a PM if including equity pay down.  

In this market I am happy if I can get a 0.75% rent to sale price ratio with the property being in a nice area and no indicators that the property will require a lot of effort to PM.  This nice cash flow is using realistic maintenance/cap expense numbers that most inexperienced investors would think is high but I believe to be accurate.  

Run the numbers on a 0.75% rent to sold price on a duplex to quad conventionally financed.  

Then realize rents are going up and that a year from now the property will have better cash flow than today.  Realize any forced appreciation opportunities.  Realize prop 13 caps the tax increase. Realize the historical appreciation realizing it goes in waves (so short term depreciation has occurred but the long term appreciation has for over 50 years surpassed inflation and virtually every other market). 

Good luck

@Steve Vaughan

User Stats

Votes
Dulce Beltran
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied

Ellis Hammond San Diego is an appreciating market not a cash flowing market. To see a better cash flow you need anywhere from 30-40% down. Our short supply in housing is not only pushing home prices up, its also directly forcing rental increases. The rental amounts have more stabilized increase rather then a purchase.

I work with Keller Williams and would be happy to refer you to my commercial colleague that specifically deals with MF. They’re actively working with Seller’s off market properties and can attest they look for them daily as I am there also looking for Single Family detached sellers.

Account Closed
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied

Just don't invest in long term holds in low cap rate markets right now @Ellis Hammond :)

User Stats

Votes
Casey Murray
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied

@Ellis Hammond My experience shows it's harder to find the 1% rule in the coastal areas since properties are priced so high. But when you look at properties going inland (Vista, Escondido, El Cajon, etc.), the rent to purchase price is more realistic as this crazy housing market is driving rents in areas previously overlooked. 

The 1% rule isn't a good standard to go by since you can drive up rents in future years coupled with appreciation. Feel free to contact me with questions and best of luck on your real estate journey!

User Stats

Votes
Brent Coombs
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied
Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

Speculating on appreciation seems to be the most common approach in your market provided you have deep enough pockets to support a negative cash flow property.

Your goal will be to get to the point of liquidating before a market down turn or have the time to ride it out back to positive appreciation.

However based on the present opinion of west coast investors there is no reason to ever anticipate a down turn in your market. The expectation is that appreciation will continue indefinitely.

Good one, Thomas!