Investor Mindset

User Stats

Votes
Michael Judge
Votes |
18 years old wanting to invest

Michael Judge
Posted Apr 30 2024, 17:04

I’m currently 18 years old in high school, committed to a Division 3 college near me to play Baseball. I’m not very excited for college, and I’m still unsure if I really want to go or not. I also received no scholarship or financial aid, and would be paying the full tuition each year. 

I know my end goal is to get into real estate and become an investor, and I feel like college is holding me back. It seems like I should go to work out of high school, and start investing instead of wasting my time at college. If there is anyone who has been in the same position, please give any advice. 

User Stats

Votes
Charles Carillo
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Replied May 1 2024, 06:41

@Michael Judge

I was an entrepreneur before and after college. My parents made me go to college, and I am happy I did. I am not a burn-the-boats type of person, and I am more productive with a backup plan. You have a solid backup plan if you get a degree in something useful (like marketing). I would possibly start a small business in college and start building up some capital while focusing on graduating debt-free. I ran a business full-time in college all 4 years while going to college full-time and playing lacrosse. Most college students waste a lot of time.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 1 2024, 06:51

Going to college can be a waste of time - if you have no goals that are served by the 4 years of studies. As @Charles Carillo said, you can make the most of that time, but most people just waste the 4-5 years and then end up doing something unrelated to their degree field anyway.

Maybe look into a Trade School, like an electrical one....nice clean work that pays really well. And you would be learning the trades that will help you in the RE journey too.

Think of it like this - in the 4 years you'd spend in college, you could already have a couple properties.....

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Judge
Votes |
Replied May 1 2024, 07:40

@Bruce Woodruff that’s exactly what I was thinking. Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Dan Sheeks
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Replied May 1 2024, 14:11

Bigger Pockets has a book called First to a Million, and it's just for you.

Check out chapters 26 and 27. They will answer your college questions.

User Stats

Votes
Jacopo Iasiello#5 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Votes |
Jacopo Iasiello#5 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Replied May 2 2024, 09:46

I love your mindset as a young age thinking about his future. The answer is ''you'' make self- assessment or study something related in what you achieve

User Stats

Votes
Sandra Youkhana
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jun 15 2024, 12:23

It's important to carefully consider your options and what will best help you achieve your long-term goals. Have you considered exploring other paths, such as taking a gap year to work and gain some real-world experience before making a decision about college? This could help you clarify your goals and potentially save money for your future. Keep in mind that there's no one-size-fits-all answer, and it's okay to take the time to figure out what's best for you. Good luck!