Skip to content
Investor Mindset

User Stats

Votes
Ryan H.
  • Investor
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
Buyer negotiations when working with a realtor.

Ryan H.
  • Investor
  • Portland, OR
Posted Aug 9 2019, 17:41

Hi, I'm starting to submit my first offers on my first rental property (out of state).  I'm working with a realtor.  How do I learn more about the sellers' motivations for selling, build rapport, etc. when not working with them directly?  This feels important in the negotiation stage to get beyond negotiations based simply on price.

User Stats

Votes
Christine Kankowski
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temecula, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temecula, CA
Replied Aug 9 2019, 18:13

You dont deal with the seller directly when you are working with an agent. Typically it is agent to agent who do the negotiating.  You can submit a buyer letter to sway them your way, but that usually doesn't work if you are an investor.  IT works if you are military family buying their first home and they fell in love with this specific property. 

Just put together a decent offer and let that speak for itself. :)  BEst of luck

User Stats

Votes
Bevla Reeves
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Aug 12 2019, 00:03

@Ryan H.

Offer price and the ability to close the deal is all that the seller cares about.  Your agent should be an expert negotiator.  But if you go in knowing what the property is worth and it isn't too far away from the seller's asking price, there shouldn't be much to negotiate.

Good luck warrior!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.