• Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
New BP YouTube Show Looking for Denver Guests to Walk Properties

Chris Lopez
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Posted Dec 25 2019, 18:29

@Terrance Doyle and I are excited to launch a new BP show on YouTube called "The Real Estate Ride Along Show." It's a simple concept where we invite a guest and the audience to "ride along" with us to walk properties and ask questions to learn.

We're looking for BP members to come join us!

Here's the show outline:

Property Type: Usually a small multifamily (4 - 20 units) with a value-add play to increase rents and the value. We walk properties that are just purchased, currently being rehabbed, or finished and are turnkey. It really depends on what projects are going on.

Property Overview:

• Location and why we like it
  • Deal source
  • Financing to take it down and rehab
  • The gameplan for rehab, timeline, and exit strategy.

Interior Walk: We'll walk one or a few units to discuss rehab plans and our 10 point checklist.

Exterior Wak: We'll walk the exterior to discuss rehab plans using our checklist.

Finances: We'll discuss the finances from two different perspectives:

1. Buying it, carrying costs, renovation costs, new rents, and the projected new value.
  2. The final numbers as a turnkey product to sell to an investor.

The new show with BP will launch in January or February of 2020. We recorded a few pilot episodes before partnering with BP on the new show. Here are two trailers from the pilot shows:

Trailer #4 on YouTube

Trailer #3 on YouTube

Would You Like to Ride Along with us?

Our plan is to record two episodes a month. Since we're working with BP, we want to invite BP members to join us for a show recording. In addition to walking the properties and learning, you'll get to hang out to network and have some fun!

We are looking for people who are excited to learn about rental investing and rehabbing properties. If you want to join us, please watch the trailers and reply to this thread with answers to these questions:

• Investing Experience
  • What you want to learn
  • Roadblocks (if any) that you're currently running into
  • A few sentences about you

Please feel free to add any additional info and let us know what questions you have.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff White
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Dec 27 2019, 09:35

@Chris Lopez I'm definitely interested in going for a ride along:

Investing Experience: Three years real estate investing experience with three house hacks and looking for more. I also have some experience with long-distance investing.  

What you want to learn:I want to learn how add value to achieve the greatest ROI and achieve the highest rents. I know different improvements add value, but what are the best things to improve? What do renters value the most? Do renters care if you have stainless steel appliances and hardwood floors? What do commercial appraisers look for besides NOI? Those types of questions.

Roadblocks: My current roadblocks are understanding construction costs, scope of work, and finding good and reliable contractors. 

A little about me: I'm a aspiring investor that is very passionate about real estate, specifically using house hacking and conventional financing as a means to grow my portfolio in the slow and steady way.  Long-term, I'm very interested in the 5+ units, so this would be a great educational opportunity that I would really enjoy. 

• Real Estate Agent Colorado (#FA100090620)

Jeffrey White with Envision Advisors Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Lopez
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Dec 27 2019, 14:39

@Jeff White thanks! We'll be in touch!

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Martinez
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Replied Dec 28 2019, 09:51

@Chris Lopez I'm very interested in your show and I'm instantly hooked.

Investing Experience: I'm just starting out, so I've been reading everything I can get a hold of and watching lots of podcasts (BP and yours).

What you want to learn: How to compete in a competitive market so that if I do invest out of state I can. How to get commercial financing and how to improve the properties for the tenants and my portfolio.

Roadblocks: Finding deals and financing plus being new.

About Me: I'm a Leo here in the Denver area and have become a Certified Wellness Coach because I have seen so many of my friends suffer from depression and worse. During this journey and trying to help others my eyes were opened to my own financial education. I'm following my own advice by taking the next steps to live the life I want with my family and have the ability to retire on my terms not someone else's.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Lopez
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Dec 28 2019, 16:13

@Chris Martinez Thanks! We're sitting down week to get do some planning. We'll be in touch.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Martinez
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Replied Dec 28 2019, 18:10

@Chris Lopez thank you and I look forward to hear from you.

User Stats

Votes
Cory Singleton
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Erie, CO
Votes |
  • Erie, CO
Replied Dec 28 2019, 20:53

@Chris Lopez +1 here, I am also interested. 

Investing Experience: I'm pretty new to property investing however i've been interested in it for quite some time and more recently have begun researching anything and everything I can get my hands on. I'm currently working through Brandon Turner's books and just recently ran across this site as well. I'm looking to buy and hold rental properties.  Likely single family to start, and longer term multi-family. 

What you want to learn: I'd love to see more about the process of researching/evaluating a prospective property. Being new, it's been difficult to determine where to start. 

Roadblocks: Knowledge of financing and understanding of the overall process, locating and finding the right property. 

A little about me: I've lived in Colorado for 25+ years (by way of California). I'm a technologist at heart and have worked in the software industry for the past 10+ years. Growing up, I watched an uncle a build a portfolio of rental properties in California which sparked my interest early on. Until recently though, I never thought it was possible. I consider myself more skilled in DIY trades than the average person as well so definitely looking to leverage those skills as part of my investment strategy. I've also recently finished my basement entirely on my own. 

User Stats

Votes
Teri Feeney Styers
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Junction, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Junction, CO
Replied Dec 29 2019, 12:44

@Chris Lopez can you message me about how you and BP organized this? Are they looking to do this in other markets (like my side of the mountains)?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Lopez
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Dec 29 2019, 13:16

@Cory Singleton Thanks! We'll be in touch!

@Teri Feeney Styers not sure Teri, but I'll send you over a point of contact.

User Stats

Votes
Heather Dane
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied Dec 30 2019, 07:02

Good Morning! My husband and I would be interested in doing a ride along with you guys. 

Investing experience: Other than our own live in flips, we have not ventured from there. I have read every book I can on RE, financial independence, small business and any other book people on BP recommends. 

Learning: Looking to learn how to analyze deals faster. How to put our rehab skills to the best use.

Roadblocks: I have currently been in analysis paralysis for about a year now. Looking for a confident push in 2020 to pick up 1-3 sfh. 

About us: I am a nurse and he is a LEO in Denver. Both of our jobs are demanding and lack the flexibility we would like. He can retire in 5 years but rental income would be a large part of that success. We are fully committed to financial independence and have now gotten to the point of no debt other than our primary home. We have strong skills that would make us successful in RE, its just a matter of doing it!!!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 30 2019, 17:23

This sounds soooo fun!

Investing Experience: My ex-husband and I owned a real estate business together. We’ve done about 10 projects in Montreal, mostly buying plexes, converting them into condos and selling them as separate units. We’ve also done four in Chicago and one in Phoenix. I’m slowly playing a more passive role and will eventually be exiting that business as we “consciously uncouple” and starting my own - I’m on my second project in Denver with my new business partner, who's a real estate agent in Denver and would also love to come along for the ride!

What you want to learn: I’m interested in learning more about the particularities of the Denver market – I’m uncovering quite a lot of them! Which neighborhoods and types of housing will appreciate and why – not just what the next hot neighborhood is, but where fellow investors believe long-term stable growth will occur.

Roadblocks (if any) that you're currently running into: Financing is a bit of a tough nut to crack. As a foreign national (Canadian and EU citizen), it’s more difficult to finance projects.

A few sentences about you : I love to learn new things, am incredibly analytical and I really enjoy meeting new people and having great conversations. I’ve recently discovered that the 9-5 lifestyle isn’t for me - I’ve been bitten by the entrepreneur bug and I absolutely love everything to do with real estate. I travel back and forth to Denver often but I’m based in Montreal. Oh, and I’m fluent in French. Bonjour!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Lopez
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 6 2020, 14:13

@Jeff White , @Chris Martinez , @Beth Hickey, @Heather Dane , @Cory Singleton -check your inboxes!

User Stats

Votes
Travis Harden
  • Lakewood, CO
Votes |
  • Lakewood, CO
Replied Jan 14 2020, 07:16

First I would like to congratulate you on the awesome community you have set up here in denver and your new YouTube opportunity.

Investing Experience- I purchased my personal home and was house hacking it before I even knew what that term was just to be able to keep my home. Now looking back that is the most wealth and savings I have ever accomplished. Because of this I have seen the real opportunity in realestate investing and want to continue down this path.

What you want to learn- i want to learn how to analyze deals as well as how to estimate total rehab costs.

Roadblocks (if any) that you're currently running into- my biggest road block right now is analysis paralysis, I would like to blame it on financial reasons but the paralysis has made me hesitant to truly exhaust all of my financial options. I feel that getting around more professionals like you and this opportunity would help people like me see the steps it takes to make it in this industry and allow us to start working towards our goals.

A few sentences about you- I live here in Lakewood CO and I work for coors doing plant maintenance. I grew up doing construction with my dad, often for investors in the Evergreen area. I always thought investing was out of reach for me but after the house hacking win and now seeing a few different sides of the business I know it is just a matter of bringing all the peices together.

Thank you for your time and best of luck in all of your ventures.

IRA Club  logo
IRA Club
|
Sponsored
An IRA Administrator Flat fees. No percentages. Grow your retirement fund: Invest in real estate with a self-directed IRA

User Stats

Votes
Chris Lopez
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 15 2020, 08:55

@Travis Harden thanks! Sending you a PM now.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 13 2020, 20:26

Hi @Chris Lopez. I hope I'm not too late to be able to take part in this great opportunity.

Investing Experience: I have been a lurker on BiggerPockets for over a year now trying to soak up as much information as possible to get started in investing. I've been listening to the podcast, reading books, and familiarizing myself with the BURRR strategy. 

What you want to learn: It would be great to understand all the factors that need to be taken into consideration when analyzing a property and estimating rehab costs. There are so many factors that it can be overwhelming as a beginner.

Roadblocks: The biggest roadblock I've had is understanding how to properly estimate rehab costs and finding contractors.

About Me: I recently moved from Minneapolis to Denver to start a new job. Over the past couple of years I've developed a deep interest in financial independence and learning about how to best manage and invest my finances for long term success. BiggerPockets has definitely been one of the most influential resources on my perspective in real estate investing, and I'm ready to put in the work necessary to apply the knowledge I've found on this platform.

Thanks for your consideration. I hope we can connect even if this opportunity is no longer available.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Lopez
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Mar 6 2020, 12:30

@Jonathan Castellanos Thanks for replying and sharing your details. We're in the process of getting the show launched now. but I'll reach out once we're recroding the next episodes. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 8 2020, 11:58

@Chris Lopez

This sounds like a real learning opportunity. 

• Investing Experience - I am learning the ropes of analyzing properties. I plan to purchase my first traditional house hack Winter of 2020/21. 
  • What you want to learn - How to look at properties beyond the computer. I've only been to a couple but am learning the amount of information that's 'hidden' from a listing -- surrounding houses, weird lots, etc. 
  • Roadblocks (if any) that you're currently running into - How to take the step from a property that looks good on a spreadsheet to being confident after seeing the particulars of the property. Gaining confidence to take the plunge is also a goal. 
  • A few sentences about you - I'm an engineer recently relocated to the Denver area by my company. I have been interested in FIRE for about 5 years but have stuck to passive investments. I'm hoping to take the next step up and into real estate through house hacks over the next 5 years or so. 

Thanks for your consideration! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 8 2020, 12:21

@Chris Lopez That sounds great! Thanks for getting back to me and definitely reach out whenever an opportunity comes up.

Best regards,

Jonathan

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 9 2020, 20:12

Hi folks -- I am very interested in this venture. I hope there are more episodes to be filmed!

Investing Experience- No real estate experience... yet. However, I have been listening to BP and reading a ton. I do have investing experience in the stock market for years.

What you want to learn- I want to learn how to create a lead pipeline and how to analyze deals. 

Roadblocks (if any) that you're currently running into- Analysis paralysis and which method should I dig into for lead generation. Networking and meeting local investors.

A few sentences about you- I live in Stapleton and am from Maryland. I have a great job but would one day like the financial freedom to have a business and enough passive income to do the things I truly love to do. Also to hopefully not have bound to an office with kids and a dog in the future.

Thank you for being a vital part of the BP community!