Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Sopic
Votes |
Laundry room conversion

Shawn Sopic
Posted Feb 29 2024, 04:13

I’m currently working on a flip in central/western PA in a rural area. We converted an existing extra room into a brand new looking laundry room with washer and dryer hookups. The laundry was previously in the unfinished basement. Should I include cabinets/shelving or just leave the room bare with just the hookups so whoever buys it can design it how they want?

I’m getting tight on budget and want to make sure it would be worth while to add cabinets/shelving before I do so. 

To give more background info, this house is a 3-4 bedroom house with 2.5 baths, 2700 sq ft in a nice rural neighborhood with fenced in yard. Bought for $95k, putting 120-130k into rehab with labor/materials. Comps are going for around $300k (but I think ours has a littler nicer finishes so may go higher). 

And I would appreciate it if anyone has any other tips when tight on budget to get the most bang for your buck. 

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo#1 Legal & Legislation Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
Kevin Sobilo#1 Legal & Legislation Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Feb 29 2024, 06:16

@Shawn Sopic, I'm in northeast PA doing a BRRRR. I converted a full bath on the 1st floor into a half bath/laundry by replacing the tub with washer/dryer hookups. Then added a full bath on the 2nd floor.

Mine will be a rental so slightly different thinking. For mine, my intent is to put a 5' wire shelf above the washer/dryer hookup. This will be a place they can put their detergent, bleach, etc or even to store some folded towels etc. A wire shelf is cheap and easy to install.

I will be adding a utility closet in the 2nd floor full bath to store linens etc.

For added value, I would actually add the washer/dryer. A buyer usually prefers new appliances included because they are getting rolled into their 30 year long term financing and even at current rates that is a lot cheaper than buying them later on a credit card. 

User Stats

Votes
Bill J Fay
  • Lender
  • Denver
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Denver
Replied Feb 29 2024, 12:13

I would check your comps. Are comps at your projected ARV selling with a washer/dryer in place with cabinets? Most flips in my market do not include W/D, but make sure the plumbing is updated. Really depends on your market and what your comps are selling with.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Kwan
  • Lender
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied Feb 29 2024, 14:09

Cabinets can be costly. I wont say it's 100% necessary for a laundry room. You can install those floating shelves to maximize space which also people to put their detergent and cleaning supplies.

@Carlos Valencia @Albert Bui

User Stats

Votes
David Avery
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Phoenix Arizona
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Phoenix Arizona
Replied Feb 29 2024, 15:01

If you have the ability and money. 

no shelves without some good support. 

self hanging are only for looks and light weight staging. 

good luck

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 29 2024, 22:39

@Shawn Sopic Neither of my last two previous homes had any shelving/storage around the laundry which was located in the basement.

My current home which is a duplex has an upscale and very well installed wire shelf system in and around the laundry room which has been most useful.

If you have run out of money for upscale cabinetry to match the rest of the house I would recommend at least installing a couple of well placed good quality wire shelves for detergent and miscellaneous stuff. The new home owners can then figure out something else if they have a different vision.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Mar 4 2024, 17:19

i would add the shelving and cabinets bring more value 

User Stats

Votes
Savannah Yingling
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Chevy Chase, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Chevy Chase, MD
Replied Mar 4 2024, 17:42
Quote from @Shawn Sopic:

I’m currently working on a flip in central/western PA in a rural area. We converted an existing extra room into a brand new looking laundry room with washer and dryer hookups. The laundry was previously in the unfinished basement. Should I include cabinets/shelving or just leave the room bare with just the hookups so whoever buys it can design it how they want?

I’m getting tight on budget and want to make sure it would be worth while to add cabinets/shelving before I do so. 

To give more background info, this house is a 3-4 bedroom house with 2.5 baths, 2700 sq ft in a nice rural neighborhood with fenced in yard. Bought for $95k, putting 120-130k into rehab with labor/materials. Comps are going for around $300k (but I think ours has a littler nicer finishes so may go higher). 

And I would appreciate it if anyone has any other tips when tight on budget to get the most bang for your buck. 

Thanks!

Hi Shawn! I think if you have the funds, put it towards the washer and dryer. If that's not an option, maybe take the route of shelving that's not too expensive. Otherwise, I personally wouldn't add anything.

District Invest Group Logo