• Rental Property Investor
  • Douglas County, MO
Votes |
Try it, you'll like it!

Sylvia B.
  • Douglas County, MO
Posted Jan 23 2015, 07:08

Too often, when talking about a project I'm working on, I hear something like, "Oh I could never do that! I don't know how." Well, if you don't try, you never will. I read an interesting story today that just might help someone jump out of analysis paralysis.

A pottery teacher split her class into two halves.

To the first half she said, "You will spend the semester studying pottery, planning, designing, and creating your perfect pot. At the end of the semester, there will be a competition to see whose pot is the best".

To the other half she said, "You will spend your semester making lots of pots. Your grade will be based on the number of completed pots you finish. At the end of the semester, you'll also have the opportunity to enter your best pot into a competition."

The first half of the class threw themselves into their research, planning, and design. Then they set about creating their one, perfect pot for the competition.

The second half of the class immediately grabbed fistfuls of clay and started churning out pots. They made big ones, small ones, simple ones, and intricate ones. Their muscles ached for weeks as they gained the strength needed to throw so many pots.

At the end of class, both halves were invited to enter their most perfect pot into the competition. Once the votes were counted, all of the best pots came from the students that were tasked with quantity. The practice they gained made them significantly better potters than the planners on a quest for a single, perfect pot.

In life, the best way to learn a skill is to make a lot of pots.

Source

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Kirkland, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kirkland, WA
Replied Jan 23 2015, 09:01

That's a great story, thanks for sharing!

User Stats

Votes
Steve Olafson
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jan 23 2015, 09:12

@Sylvia B. 

This may be one of the best posts for beginners that I have ever seen on a forum!!!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Junck
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Replied Jan 23 2015, 09:17

Great story!  

Just goes to prove . At some point your going to have to get off the couch and act on what you know and learn along the way of what you don't.

User Stats

Votes
Amelia Woolsey
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Jan 23 2015, 09:21

Great post! And I agree with Aaron's reply. Just got to get up and do it.

Amelia

User Stats

Votes
Michael Bier
  • Kennewick, WA
Votes |
  • Kennewick, WA
Replied Jan 23 2015, 14:09

Thanks for the story. It hit home for me. I studied and read countless books before I bought my first rental, but now I am walking the path. I learn something every day 

User Stats

Votes
Pat Parrillo
  • Realtor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Jan 23 2015, 14:16

I love this story thanks for sharing. This is a story I see myself sharing with others as well as needing to take some lessons from personally as well. Let's all go make some pots! 

User Stats

Votes
Dawn Anastasi
Pro Member
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Jan 23 2015, 14:53

Those early pots may be a little ugly at first, but they may just hold water and over time you can learn how to improve them.

User Stats

Votes
Marlene Michael
  • Investor
  • Jonesboro, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Jonesboro, GA
Replied Feb 2 2015, 08:06

I needed to read that today. Thanks for the great post!