What is it going to cost me to gut and remodel my duplex?

What is it going to cost me to gut and remodel my duplex?

Investor · Belvidere, IL · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 5 votes

I've worked in construction since I was in high school so I would like to tackle most of this myself, just maybe not the gutting. But I've always been the laborer and therefore mostly oblivious to the costs. So I'm looking for some general numbers here of what it's going to cost me. Per SQ/Ft numbers are fine. 

It's a 2 story house built in 1890 and converted to a duplex in the 80's (I think). I'm pretty sure it's balloon framed. I plan to gut it down to the studs, removing plaster and lath, with drywall over the top. Remove the windows, electrical and plumbing also. I'm guessing I will have to do some framing to shore up the flooring. Then all new subfloor, electrical, PEX plumbing, drywall, windows, carpet and hardwood flooring, kitchen cabinets, bathroom fixtures, ect. 

What should I expect for costs per SQ/Ft? $30? 50? 100?

Located in North Central Illinois.

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 898 votes
10y

@Jayme Carlson Sounds like you are not leaving much of the original house. Your costs would likely be similar to new construction if you were paying for the labor.

Since you stated that you wanted to do most of the labor yourself, you should be able to figure out the material costs.  I would caution you on assuming you can do everything yourself.  Your local city may not allow you as unlicensed to do certain work like electrical and plumbing.  

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Bloomfield, CT · Member since 2016 · 86 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Hi @Jayme Carlson, I'd like to recommend you pick up "The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs" by J. Scott. In the opening chapter, he discusses why estimating based on square footage or number of rooms can be inaccurate, and then proceeds to detail how you can estimate every major component of a property based on the price range, materials, and labor. The last chapter puts it all together into a spreadsheet format you can use as a checklist and estimation tool.

  • Developer · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 898 votes
    10y

    @Jayme Carlson Sounds like you are not leaving much of the original house. Your costs would likely be similar to new construction if you were paying for the labor.

    Since you stated that you wanted to do most of the labor yourself, you should be able to figure out the material costs.  I would caution you on assuming you can do everything yourself.  Your local city may not allow you as unlicensed to do certain work like electrical and plumbing.  

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    10y

    I second what @Mike Wood said.  Cost will depend on level of finishes as well.  I would  guess $50 - 75 per sq ft at it just for starters.  The best way is to do a quantity count pricing.  RSMeans is a common book / tool used for estimating.  I would spray foam insulate all the exterior walls as I bet there is not any insulation in the walls. 

  • North Reading, MA · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    10y

    @Jayme Carlson If the house was built in 1890, you are very likely correct; it is balloon framed. It is also very unlikely a house built during that time period has fire blocking installed. Nearly all building codes require that if you open walls during reconstruction you must address and fix any code non-compliant items. Prior to electrical wiring, plumbing, and insulation, the fire blocking would be installed and inspected. I recommend checking with your local building inspector.

    Due to the dimensional differences between lumber today and 1890 lumber, you will most likely have to rip larger stock to the correct width as a tight fit is required for fire blocking.

    Good luck with your project!

    Jayme Carlson

    Jayme Carlson

  • Newark, IL · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    In Illinois you can fire block with fire caulk or foam. If you are putting stainless appliances , granite, and hardwood use the 80-85 dollar a sq ft for budget purposes. 

  • Investor · Attleboro, MA · Member since 2016 · 137 posts · 51 votes
    10y

    Big question is are you doing things with permits or not.......lol.....big difference in costs for many different reasons

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 79 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    Anyone have a contract they have their contractor sign before they start the rehab? Looking for examples.

    Thank you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.