• Rental Property Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Design ideas for townhouse needed.

Kate J.
  • Austin, TX
Posted Sep 16 2016, 12:35

I need ideas on flooring of townhouse. Input is 2 floors house, the first floor has cement floor, the second is covered with plywood. The previous owner had carpet on it, but they removed it and I've been left with plywood only. In between there is a beautiful unstained oak stairway (previosly covered with carpet as well). The kitchen is on the first floor, has to be completely remodeled as well. Since the stairway is dark wood, I am thinking to put dark hardwood on the lower level. My options:

1. Dark click hardwood on the first floor, carpet of the second, refinish stairway to match the dark hardwood.

2. Dark click hardwood on the first floor, carpet of the second and carpet of the stairway.

3. Dark click hardwood on the first floor, carpet of the second, refinish stairway to match the dark hardwood.

4. Dark click hardwood on the first floor and the second floor.

5. Dark click engineered hardwood on the first floor and the second floor or carpet on the second floor.

I plan to resell, and this is a prime location, so I need to have a "luxury impression". Engineered hw is easier to install and it is cheaper, but would the buyer ask about it or can we put it as "hardwood floor" to the MLS ad?

User Stats

Votes
Kate J.
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Sep 16 2016, 13:03

here is a short video of the stairway. I think this should be a selling point in the house, but once again, I need advise on the flooring.... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX5sgnfrxXM&featur...

User Stats

Votes
Valerie Hiscoe
  • Investor
  • Richmond, BC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, BC
Replied Sep 17 2016, 03:27

Hi Kate

That looks like an awesome place!  And I agree, the staircase can really be a centerpiece.  100% I would not carpet it.  I wouldn't put carpet anywhere else either because, although there may be a few exceptions, it's just not really what people want these days.  If you think your market is 50-50 then I'd just stage it with area rugs in the living room and master bedroom when it's time to sell. (You said it was a higher end market so I'll assume you're staging it.)  Some of the engineered wood these days is great but I'd advise against advertising laminate as 'hardwood floors'.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kate J.
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Sep 17 2016, 05:31
Originally posted by @Valerie Hiscoe:

Hi Kate

That looks like an awesome place!  And I agree, the staircase can really be a centerpiece.  100% I would not carpet it.  I wouldn't put carpet anywhere else either because, although there may be a few exceptions, it's just not really what people want these days.  If you think your market is 50-50 then I'd just stage it with area rugs in the living room and master bedroom when it's time to sell. (You said it was a higher end market so I'll assume you're staging it.)  Some of the engineered wood these days is great but I'd advise against advertising laminate as 'hardwood floors'.

Do you mean that engineered wood is considered as laminate? Yes, I plan to stage this place. Would you advice to go with dark wood or with lighter one? I still can sand the stairway to lighter, it seems to be oak.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Berg
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Sep 18 2016, 00:12

Hi Kate,

As usual, to give actual, real professional advice on your floor choice, a bit more info is needed. 

You mentioned a "luxury impression," what's the approx. ARV, and size of the complex... are there many other identical (or close in size and floor plan) units for sale?

What's the plan for the kitchen... cabinetry material, color, and are you planning the hardwood floor to continue into the kitchen?

To address the type of flooring material, first off, if you want a "luxury impression," stay away from the laminate fake wood.

I would consult a local expert, but that said, I understand engineered products--with a substantial veneer thickness that's able to be sanded and refinished--are both functional and comparatively inexpensive to install over a grade-level slab.

In terms of color, this is always subjective (and depends on what's going on with the kitchen finishes), but I would recommend a mid-tone finish for a flip. I personally like dark hardwood, but they present maintenance issues... dust and dirt, pet hair, scratching, etc.,(kinda like having a black car). Plus, a dark floor tends to make a room appear a bit smaller.

For the second floor, I'd absolutely recommend carpet in the bedrooms. Most people prefer it, and reduces noise considerably... plus it's cheaper. You could do hardwood on the landing/hallway upstairs for continuity.

Now, for the "selling point of the house," the stairway (one of my specialties). My first reaction would do a more elegant/stylish balustrade, which would IMMEDIATELY set your unit apart from all the others, since interiors are how you're competing. 

However, the curved lower few steps of handrail could get a bit pricey. To deal with it as is, is again, very subjective. A simple dark finish as it is, might look as good (and cheaper) rather than doing a color on the balusters.

If you leave it as is, you want to set it apart from the others. Consider finishing several inches of the outside edges of the treads and risers, and doing a carpet runner in a simple but very elegant material, different from the upstairs, maybe in a subtle pattern.

Then, gotta replace all that outdated tile in what I assume is the entry, and make that guest bath an absolute KNOCKOUT! 

The last piece to complete the look is an awesome contemporary light fixture in the stairwell. Spend a little money. It will set your unit apart, and buyers will remember it.

User Stats

Votes
Valerie Hiscoe
  • Investor
  • Richmond, BC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, BC
Replied Sep 18 2016, 00:40

HI Kate

No. Sorry it came out that way. Given a choice between the three, I'd go engineered, so you have all the quality of hardwood in a more durable product. Engineered hardwood can be shortened to hardwood in your listing.

Regarding color selection, I'd have to ask what you were doing for kitchen cabinetry first. If the neighborhood likes wood, then your square footage may not be so large as to mix and match and you'd want to carry the tone of your cabinets into your flooring. Not necessarily match the grain of the wood, but carry through with the same color and depth of lightness or darkness.  If you were going with white or gray cabinets then your options are open and darker tones seem to be popular right now.  Don't go to the black-brown though because it shows every speck of dust and if someone's had it before,  they won't want it again.

Depending on the amount of time you have, maybe you could look into a liquidation place or auction for flooring too because you'll need so much. I just learned about this website that's called auctionzip.com where you can look up auctions by zip code. I don't want to set you off-track though - the hardest part about your first flip will be all the shopping you'll have to do.  It's SO time-consuming that you'll hate it by the time you finish - there's always something that you forgot or doesn't fit. Take the time to make LOTS of decisions all at once and then just get the stuff and be done with it. That might just be me though,  although it would still be my advice.

I looked at your video several times because,  even though your staircase is a really appealing feature, there was something that I kept questioning and I finally figured it out - the railing. It makes quite an overwhelming statement and it's definitely not the most attractive part of the stairs. I can't really tell from the video - is it painted black or stained or ??? It's again, only my opinion, but I think I'd try to strip the handrail and see if I could stain it to match the stairs and then paint out the spindles and base your trim color (white I'm assuming ). I tried to find an example on Pinterest but couldn't really see a good one, sorry.

By the way, speaking of matching the stairs - you WOULD want to match the grain as well as the color of your flooring to the stairs as much as possible.

This is a pretty long post.  I'll send you a personal message next time if you have questions about anthing I said.  If you have videos of your kitchen, I'd love to know your plans.

User Stats

Votes
Valerie Hiscoe
  • Investor
  • Richmond, BC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, BC
Replied Sep 18 2016, 01:05

I didn't see Jeff's comment before I posted my last one but we agree on a lot of things. And we disagree on some too. A good engineered wood can easily stand up to the demands of a kitchen and half bath and I would never break up the transition of an entryway into another area with a change of flooring. I would only use tile where there is a bath or shower. As Jeff recommended, talk to an expert though. As for carpet, it might be a geographical thing but it is truly heartbreaking to hear a buyer say they're going to have to tear out all your new carpet because they have allergies or it catches the dog fur or something. They probably won't actually tear it up, they're just trying to get a cheaper price but still.  The area dictates all though, so the expert to consult would be your realtor or you could look at a few new-builds to see what they're up to in your area. Again I agree with Jeff in saying that if you do find out that carpets are a good option for the bedrooms, carry the hardwood into the landing and hallway for continuity.

User Stats

Votes
Kate J.
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Sep 18 2016, 14:09

Thanks a lot of all your comments! I am thinking to add a crystal lamp like 

https://www.amazon.com/Petrelking-Crystal-Chandeli...

Or something similar to 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NGZIEF4?psc=1

The kitchen is going to be white, all of the hallway walls will be very light grey to add light to the room. The tiles in the hall will be removed. I am thinking to make the half bath in white colors.

The layout is on the left of the entrance there is a living room, on the right is a room. On the upper floor there are 2 more rooms, with a full bath. I am thinking how to kick out the best of it. The thing is that most of the apartments in the building (with no renovation) of this size are sold for 285-300 range in the last 6 months (of course higher in 2006-2008), they are usually listed as 2 bedrooms, and the room downstairs is listed as dining room. My original plan is to make it 3 bedrooms by staging the dining room inside the living room. This can increase price up to 340. The building is considered more upscale then the neighboring, so I said "luxury". Of course this is not a true luxury, as we can see in 1mln houses...

Would you tile the kitchen or HW? I am thinking that it would be the easier to demo all floors on the lower level and set the whole floor (except tiny area in the half bath) as HW or engineered HW. What do you think of click HW? It seems to me that they can be resanded more times the engineered ones.

Once again, thank you so much for your feedback!

User Stats

Votes
Kate J.
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Sep 18 2016, 14:15

Valerie, the stairway looks weird on video, in reality it had ripped off carpet and stained rails, I can see the structure of the wood. I am thinking either to sand the rails and make the stairway lighter or stain everything. Ideas are welcome.

User Stats

Votes
Kate J.
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Sep 18 2016, 14:28

Jeff, this is 1300 sq.f. Currently there are no units for sale in this building, there is one pending sale and 3 sold during the last year. Cabinetry are white, I am thinking to continue HW to the kitchen as well. Not sure this is the best idea. To be honest this is the most destructed property I had to renovate so far. I am thinking HW in the following tone (not brand)

http://www.coswick.com/hardwood_flooring/country_n...

I would opt for carpet upstairs as well. I am not sure I understood anything from what you mentioned on balustrade, but I absolutely agree it should be worked out more. Would you mind to send pictures of examples of it? Also ideas on colors of the guest bathroom...

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Berg
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Sep 18 2016, 22:46

Kate,

Let's start with the kitchen... yes, I would definitely continue the hardwood (I like the example you included, has a nice warm tone), especially with white cabinetry. Are the existing cabs staying, or are you replacing? If they're staying, a couple of pics of the kitchen will help me see what general style you're working with.

Good plan to remove the outdated tile in the entry and hall, and do the powder room as well, all replaced with hardwood. Check with a local flooring expert on the differences between the hardwood choices. As I understand, the "click" versions are not nailed to a subfloor, but tongue-and-groove glued together designed more for DIY. 

I always try to go almost over-the-top on powder rooms, because you only need a vanity/sink and wallcovering for a tiny space to make it sensational and memorable. 

If you're going to leave the vanity, I would probably paint it a light color; if planning to replace, consider a floating cabinet with soft under-cabinet lighting to illuminate the floor (nice night-light and expands the space). 

Replace the top with something contemporary and elegant, and use a vessel sink with a nice simple faucet set, a nicely framed mirror (or tight wall-to-wall, counter-to-celing mirror with a hole drilled for the light fixture), and a clean-lined contempo fixture (a couple of hanging pendants?). Maybe a wide-stripe wallcovering, a color with white, not too overpowering, but still bold.

I understand repurposing a room to bedroom for a higher ARV, but does the dining area have a closet? Will it look odd to have it staged as a bedroom? Plus the full bath is upstairs. Have any other units in the complex been sold as a 3/1-1/2? Your realtor should be able to advise you there.

The full bath upstairs should be a big selling point as well, but more restrained in design than the powder. A good vanity (BTW, very inexpensive to have custom-made at your local cabinet shop), top, sink(s), faucets, framed mirrors, and clean light fixtures. If the flooring is outdated, replace it with a nice tile... a simple truck to visually enlarge a smaller bath is use a large tile, 16"x16" or 24"x 24", lay them on a bias and use very tight grout lines.

Now, the stairway doesn't look bad the way it is, but the baluster and railing look a little cheap, like something you might see on an outdoor deck. Replacing it with a more updated and contempo design would be optimum, but whenever a custom curve is needed, the cost usually jumps dramatically. I've done this quite a few times, but not for a while, and not in your area. 

Here's an example that is contempo, clean, simple, metal with wood (for continuity to the floor), and it mounts in the same way as your existing balustrade:

https://www.hubush.com/modern-stair-railing-ideas/...

The hanging fixture examples might be a bit ornate for your architecture. I think something more contempo would work. 

Looks like you're on the right track. You only have the interior to set it apart from the others, and you're in a price range that requires quality features.

User Stats

Votes
Valerie Hiscoe
  • Investor
  • Richmond, BC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, BC
Replied Nov 12 2016, 11:45

@Kate J.

How's your rehab coming along?  The decisions along the way are always tough until you start specializing on certain properties in certain areas and get a chance to duplicate and streamline things - what kind of decisions have you made so far?  I think your choice to go with hardwood through the whole main floor (because it's a half bath only, I probably would have gone with the hardwood in the powder room too - although a high gloss porcelain could be very luxe too).  Did you decide to go with carpet for the upstairs?  I probably would not have as I earlier mentioned but I did hear that Home Depot had a free installation special a month or so ago.

@Jeff Berg I really liked a lot of the ideas you passed on - especially about installing large tiles diagonally - I've seen some great specials on those porcelain tiles at Home Depot too - although they differ by store - it's something I haven't seen too many examples of in flips though.  What do you think?

Hope the staircase thing is turning out great!  Keep a record of your steps on film - we're anxious to see your struggles, solutions, and final product.  Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Berg
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Nov 12 2016, 16:02

Valerie - Thanks for the kind words! Yep, it's a simple solution to several issues a tile floor in a smaller space often presents. I've used the larger tiles in both kitchens and baths.

Besides proper installation, the key to a great tile floor is layout... nothing looks worse than an edge of small strips of tile, either at a wall, tub, shower, vanity, etc. With a smaller tile, sometimes it's impossible to avoid, so it's a choice of where it'll be the least noticed.

A larger size usually solves the problem. Plus, when laid on a bias, visually expands and opens the space (and makes it a bit more interesting, IMO). It also eliminates a buncha grout lines, which makes it easier to clean. 

A couple of caveats...a larger tile with tight grout lines needs a very flat floor, which isn't difficult to achieve, or correct in the installation. That said, it's best (especially when buying from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.) to use a tile with a slightly rounded edge to reduce lippage (when one edge is slightly higher than the adjoining one). It also requires a slightly heavier mortar bed than a smaller tile. All things a professional tile setter will know.

Two reasons you usually see the same-ol'-same-old in most rehabs (IMHO): First, explained in the paragraph above... anything that requires the least bit of knowledge and experience outside the run-of-the-mill often threatens people... investors, project managers, GCs, subs... either from lack of experience or imagination.

Second, most rehabbers go straight down the middle of the road, reciting the mantra "that's what sells." I guess there is SOME truth to that, but I've found it to be a bit outdated. Today's buyers are MUCH more sophisticated and design-savvy than they were even a few short years ago, and WILL notice, appreciate, and even pay a bit more for that professional difference. 

It's not just a theory, I put it into practice for over fifteen years, and it never failed. Not once.

User Stats

Votes
Kate J.
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 12 2016, 15:09
Originally posted by @Valerie Hiscoe:

@Kate J.

How's your rehab coming along?  The decisions along the way are always tough until you start specializing on certain properties in certain areas and get a chance to duplicate and streamline things - what kind of decisions have you made so far?  I think your choice to go with hardwood through the whole main floor (because it's a half bath only, I probably would have gone with the hardwood in the powder room too - although a high gloss porcelain could be very luxe too).  Did you decide to go with carpet for the upstairs?  I probably would not have as I earlier mentioned but I did hear that Home Depot had a free installation special a month or so ago.

@Jeff Berg I really liked a lot of the ideas you passed on - especially about installing large tiles diagonally - I've seen some great specials on those porcelain tiles at Home Depot too - although they differ by store - it's something I haven't seen too many examples of in flips though.  What do you think?

Hope the staircase thing is turning out great!  Keep a record of your steps on film - we're anxious to see your struggles, solutions, and final product.  Best of luck!

Hi Valerie, I finished everything except floors and the stairway so far. We have left for a vacation for 2 weeks with my husband and there will be a delay with floor installation. I will put HW in all areas. Kitchen is tiled. I decided to put a door in the hall and make a dining room as 3rd bedroom. I can do another video when we return. There were several delays in the project, but it turns out well. I am still thinking about rails, should I change them or keep? Of course I will refinish the stairs to match the floors. I would say 1 month left till the end of this project, mainly because the floors should sit in the apartment for a week to be installed, and I have to do granite counter tops for the kitchen.

User Stats

Votes
Valerie Hiscoe
  • Investor
  • Richmond, BC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, BC
Replied Dec 12 2016, 23:24

@Kate J.

Sounds great!  Isn't it awful how everything takes so much longer than you think.  And every time I try to cut a corner it just ends up costing me more time and money.  No wonder they say "estimate the time - and then double it".  It's sure not easy, is it.

For your railings I would say honestly to let your budget decide.  My guess is that it will be a pretty big chunk of change to replace them and whether the return on investment would be worthwhile - I don't know but I'd bet no.  I think if you sanded them and painted them and made them look fresh and new you'd be fine.  It sounds like you're going to have enough other 'wow' factors to distract anyone from looking too closely at the railings.  People might choose to do their choice of style for their own personal home but not for a flip in my opinion. 

And a third bedroom is AWESOME!  That's definitely an investment you'll see returns on.  Good thinking.

Hope you enjoy your vacation and that the wind up of your project goes smoothly (who are we kidding - it won't - but you'll get through it.  Lol.)  Looking forward to the video.