Ordered kitchen from Home Depot, now they won't install.

7 Replies

My neighbor ordered a complete kitchen from Home Depot, plus installation.  She paid for the entire project at the end of August, and has been given the run around ever since.

The original contractor has either quit or been fired from Home Depot. Home Depot originally said they'd cover any additional cost to install with the new contractor, who has broken promise after promise to come by the house and give an install bid. 

Home Depot has also broken promise after promise to call and keep her updated. 

She FINALLY received the install bid this afternoon - three times the price of the original quote. And now, Home Depot won't cover the additional costs.

She has paid in full for this kitchen install that was supposed to start in early October and be complete right about now. Instead, Home Depot has her money and refuses to refund or return the cabinets  - stating they were a "custom order". Yes, they were a custom order, but she would not have placed the order if they had given her the 3X install price.

She's not sure where to turn next. Any advice?

Mindy Jensen, Real Estate Agent in CO (#FA100049656)

Call a Real Estate lawyer and make an appointment.Home Depot must honor their original contract unless there are out clauses written into it that let them walk away but,I severely doubt it.At the same time,get referrals for other contractors from local real estate agents that have had work done on their clients properties.You should get as many estimates as possible cause one of them will need work more than the others.

Make a STINK.

It worked for me when they wouldn't stand behind the Ryobi junk battery chargers we were using.

They made it right.

Yes, there's still the rule of law here in the US and their run-around will only get them so far.

I also had a very negative experience with their supposed FREE INSTALLATION carpet promotion.  Was just a giant mis-representation and way to screw un sophisticated buyers into buying carpet for 50% markups....

How'd she pay, if it's credit card......... chargeback. Depending on your comfort level/knowledge and assuming you have the contract you could take them to small claims.... 

I wish her the best of luck. Home Depot installs are a complete joke. I waited 2+ months for a carpet install; bad dye lot so rooms didn't match, forgot to reorder, on back order, left gaps in stairs, etc. I finally got a refund right before I was having postcards printed off with pics of their "craftsmanship" that I was paying some kids to blanket the parking lot cars with. Another friend had the installers steal his new pad for an entire house by reusing his old pad, after an awkward conversation where they called and asked if it was his residence or a rental. They sent the same installers to redo the job, which he stopped at the door. HD hide behind the fact the installers don't work for them, yet the installers only install for HD. I could go on and on. 

Don't have any advice, other than a warning to everyone to be extremely cautious when using their "installers".  

Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen :

My neighbor ordered a complete kitchen from Home Depot, plus installation.  She paid for the entire project at the end of August, and has been given the run around ever since.

The original contractor has either quit or been fired from Home Depot. Home Depot originally said they'd cover any additional cost to install with the new contractor, who has broken promise after promise to come by the house and give an install bid. 

Home Depot has also broken promise after promise to call and keep her updated. 

She FINALLY received the install bid this afternoon - three times the price of the original quote. And now, Home Depot won't cover the additional costs.

She has paid in full for this kitchen install that was supposed to start in early October and be complete right about now. Instead, Home Depot has her money and refuses to refund or return the cabinets  - stating they were a "custom order". Yes, they were a custom order, but she would not have placed the order if they had given her the 3X install price.

She's not sure where to turn next. Any advice?

1. Email to state Atty generals office MAKE SURE TO CC Home Depot local manager and any assistant managers email addys you can get as well as corporate 

2. Email blast to all local media. MAKE SURE TO CC Home Depot local manager and any assistant managers email addys you can get as well as corporate

3. FB posts on all local town FB pages.   MAKES SURE TO Send Home Depot local manager and any assistant managers email addys you can get as well as corporate a link to the posts

My bet is within a week HD will contact her 

The state Atty General one has worked wonders for us against some large corporations. 

@Mindy Jensen She paid for it installed, it’s an open and shut case. Tell them you don’t care how they do it you just want it done. They probably will have a clause where you pay for their legal fees and pay for yours. Plus I think lawyers are simply a waste of time, resources and money. Check the contract. Small claims court after Reporting constantly to corporate. I find corporate office to be like a fire on their behinds all the time.

@Mindy Jensen I can`t speak for how to get your money back, but if you need the kitchen installed, a good percent of my customers that are contractors farm out the kitchen install, to people that specialize in cabinet installation, ask one of your contractors to recomend a local installer foe her.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.