Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Willson
Pro Member
  • Roanoke, VA
Votes |
Economical noise reduction for upper/lower duplex?

Tyler Willson
Pro Member
  • Roanoke, VA
Posted Jan 12 2018, 04:00

Hello everyone, I am think about purchasing an upper/lower duplex in my area. The upper unit has pretty much been gutted (there is still some flooring left but studs otherwise), and I was wondering if it is worth doing any sort of noise reduction with the upper unit to possibly avoid future issues between tenants. 

What I have heard so far is that I could insulate in between the floor joists and use a thicker underlayment underneath laminate flooring in order to achieve noise reduction from above. The thicker underlayment is certainly more expensive, so I wanted to get some other folks experience before shelling out the cash for this.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Kerr
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Everywhere, USA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Everywhere, USA
Replied Jan 12 2018, 08:00

@Tyler Willson email the folks at http://www.soundproofcow.com/ - If you email them your details, they have a consultant give you a couple different options based on phases of construction and price. We are using their MD sound proof panels in between two layers of drywall ceiling to help reduce noise between an upstairs and downstairs unit.

Typical insulation really doesn't reduce any noise. Be sure to keep cost in mind as having a completely sound proof unit is pretty unheard of in apartments.

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Willson
Pro Member
  • Roanoke, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Roanoke, VA
Replied Jan 12 2018, 10:07

@Andrew Kerr Thank you for the recommendation! I will check them out.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Wedde
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Portsmouth, NH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Portsmouth, NH
Replied Jan 23 2018, 11:25

@Tyler Willson

A economical way is to place insulation in between the units in between the joists, which works very well against sound waves penetrating through. A rubber underlayment will help with heavy footfalls and reduce sound transfer to the subfloor. Also as you place subfloor lay a thick bead of adhesive on each joist, this will reduce sound transfer from subfloor to joist as well as subfloor movement. 

In my experience you won't hear people until they are yelling fairly loud or really loud dogs. Also footsteps are gone unless stompping around. Still might hear creaking from the joists as people put weight on it but its not bad.

Overall peoples voices are easy to filter out, the biggest sounds come from noise transfer through the joists into the drywall.

No matter how much sound damping material you use, people can always over come it anyways. But this will probably will take care of 90% of noises.

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jan 23 2018, 11:45

ear plugs..... well you said "economical"