Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dave Zarcone
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Upland, CA
Votes |
Help with Rehab Estimate

Dave Zarcone
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Upland, CA
Posted Jan 17 2018, 19:25

Hello all,

My wife and I are working on finding the right fix and flip project in the Inland Empire in California. We got into flipping last year when we renovated and sold a family home and realized a decent profit. Our goal is to flip a few homes and then reinvest all the profit into building a rental portfolio over the next few years.

We have visited a few dozen homes and seriously analyzed 3 or 4 potential flip candidates. We have also visited numerous properties currently for sale that have been flipped to see the material and labor quality standards for the area. The material quality and crafstmanship are both mid to low grade. We do not want to get into a business of cheaply flipping homes and providing low-quality housing to buyers... but we also want to realize a profit. So, this brings me to my question... I have run a few potential flip projects by my GC to get an estimate on the scope of work. We use that estimate and the BP Fix and Flip calculator to find our max offer but it always comes in much lower than what other investors offer. For instance, the last calculation I ran was for a 3 bed 2 bath home with an ARV of $360k, repair estimate $40k, profit requirement $20k, for a max offer of $258k. We made the offer and found out that another investor had an offer in for $280k.

I am worried that we are simply way over-estimating our rehab cost by running through a GC. Or, we are rehabbing items that are not necessary. I have listed below the basics of our rehab and am hoping you all can let me know if this is competitive and fair. Meanwhile, I am going to send the same scope of work to other local contractors to get an estimate.  I really appreciate your help. BP Rocks!

Single Story 3 bed 2 bath 1585 sqft

Paint Interior - 1585 sq ft - $1.9/sq ft = $3,000

Scrape popcorn ceiling, texture, and paint - 1350 sq ft - $3.1/sq ft = $4,185

Remove old carpet and install vinyl plank flooring - 1175 sqft - $5/sqft = $5,875

Replace carpet with new carpet - 410 sq ft - $2.2/sqft = $910

Remove dead grass and install sod - 1850 sqft - $2.1/sq ft = $3,850

New two car garage door/opener/track and installation = $1,500

New window and installation = $250 each

Bathroom remodel - vanity, mirror, light, toilet, demo and build back new tub or shower with ceramic tile - $4,500

Kitchen remodel - 30sqft quartz, 12ft upper cabinets, 12ft lower, backsplash, sink/garbage disposal, $9k

There are many more items to be repaired/replaced but I realize this is turning into a long post so I will stop there. Please let me know what you think or if you have any advice. 

Loading replies...