Monthly Meet Up / Networking

Monthly Meet Up / Networking

Topeka, KS · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 29 votes

Hello All! 

I would like to set up a Topeka Meet Up/Networking group that meets monthly if possible. The goal would be to help each other in our various businesses. I have had a few deals that I have come across in the last couple of months that weren't a fit for me but I have helped others acquire these properties. I would bet the deals I am looking for someone else has passed on or referred them to others. This would be for everyone. Buy and Hold, Wholesaling, Flipping, etc.

@Jonathan Brobst

@Jason Biegert

@Angel Hagen

@Shannon Uhl

@Chris McGee

@Carrim Browne

@Kayla Whiteley

@Dave Clauson 

@John Mattox

2Reply
96 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2015 · 769 posts · 279 votes
8y

@Jason Biegert @Daniel Carman @Dave Clauson @Angel Hagen @Dustin Hawks @Collyn Hoffman @Christopher Stemler @Chris Trupiano @Kim Tucker 

I @ anyone I could that had replied to this thread.  I'm in Topeka now and interested in meeting with folks.  Could drop by my business or meet for coffee.  Blackbird's seems to be a nice place for a meeting.  Still learning the city.

Hoping to expand my network here.  After having to relocate quickly and become a renter for the first time in my life I realize there is a gigantic hole in the market here and it's ripe for opportunity.  My experience so far is Topeka is full of bad landlords with low quality overpriced rentals, not to mention the differences in RE prices from Wichita.  I'm a bit shellshocked at the lack of anything quality sub 200k.  Much less the poor quality housing we looked at for 1200 or less to rent.  

Sorry for ranting a bit - I'm shell shocked from the differences in Topeka vs Wichita, but where there is a problem there is an opportunity.

Also could someone local to the area explain to me why even on 200-300k houses I'm seeing cheap LOW quality 4x8 sheets of siding being installed on homes and some new construction homes at that?  I've been completely appalled that is happening here?  No one know how to install LP smart lap or James Hardi cement siding?

Lets meet up and make Topeka a better housing market - it needs some energy and life injected into it!!!

(If anyone could help me - we have an empty office space in need of a bit of attention that could use some sprucing up and would make a nice meeting space.  (Walkout basement that backs up to a park)  Anyways a suggestion.  

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    I'm interested. I have a pair of friends who might be as well.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lawrence, KS · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    Dustin thanks for suggesting. I'd love to be part of it. If we could do either Monday or Thursday after work or any morning but Tuesday before work, that'd be great for me. -Dave

  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    I am interested in attending.  Let me know when you have a deal that isn't for you, it may be just what I'm looking for!

  • Investor · Belton, MO · Member since 2017 · 55 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    Thank you for taking initiative to organize something. I love the idea of a formal monthly meeting. In the meantime would anyone be interested in meeting up at classic bean in fairlawn plaza Saturday morning for coffee? 

  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    I would be interested in this as well. 

  • Investor · Belton, MO · Member since 2017 · 55 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    So I will plan on being at Classic Bean in Fairlawn plaza by 10:00 Saturday May 20th. I hope some of you will come join me. 

    Angela

  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    I can meet off and on. Dustin you have my number i believe.

    Angela I won't be available this weekend.

  • Investor · Belton, MO · Member since 2017 · 55 posts · 41 votes
    9y
  • Real Estate Investor · Lawrence, KS · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    Angela today won't work for me but I love that you're trying to get a time together.  I'll definitely try to make the next one. Weekends tend to be really busy for me. Thanks!

    Dave

  • Topeka, KS · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 29 votes
    9y
    I will be there
  • Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2015 · 769 posts · 279 votes
    9y

    Ive found a couple Topeka threads and figured Id reply.... I may be moving there in the next 2-4 mos if an opportunity I am pursuing can pan out.  Anyone have any suggestions on a lender that will lend on the deal not the amount of cash I have in the deal (IE take a somewhat hard money approach -- if I will spend $XK on repairs doing X, X and X to repair the property up - they will conduct an appraisal and use the after repair value as the basis for what you will be loaned --- so if the house is fixed up and it will be worth 100k - the bank would lend me 80k regardless of what I bought it for - so if I bought it for 50 that basically would give me 30 k in draws to work with on repairs.

    There is a lender here locally that will lend on deals like that -- hoping to find one there so i can find a house and fix it up for my wife/family to live in.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lawrence, KS · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    Shane, there are a couple of banks in the Lawrence area that offer a loan that may meet your needs. They are typically 10% down of estimated ARV and then when work is complete it rolls into an 80/20 loan based from the forced equity. Sometimes you can cash out more if the appraised ARV ends up being much higher than estimated. You might try Sherry Hunsicker at Mid America or Derek Bailey at Great American. Good luck.

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    I would be interested in this as well @Dustin Hawks

  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    9y
    Hey guys and gals! I have had a rental open and been giving tours. I have two or three renters who seem really good but I can't take them. Does anyone in topeka have a place open? If so I can send along their contact information. Reply here and let me know!
  • Collyn HoffmanPro Member
    Topeka, KS · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    I'm new to bigger pockets, is there a monthly meet up happening in Topeka?  I'd be interested in attending.

  • Investor · Belton, MO · Member since 2017 · 55 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    @Collyn Hoffman I am not sure if there is. There is a MAREI Facebook page you may want to track down. I wanted to start a group, but I am no longer in Topeka. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 712 votes
    8y

    Did the topeka group get off the ground.  MAREI has a lot of people that drive in to Overland Park for our meetings from Topeka, but are looking for something more local.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lawrence, KS · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 35 votes
    8y
    Kim the meetings never really got off the ground but I know there’s a group of us that would be willing to try.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 712 votes
    8y

    Did the topeka group get off the ground.  MAREI has a lot of people that drive in to Overland Park for our meetings from Topeka, but are looking for something more local.

  • Collyn HoffmanPro Member
    Topeka, KS · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Who? What? When? Where? How do we get something up and going?  @dave clauson what time works best for the group?  I found a group that meets on monday nights, but thats difficult for people with families. 

  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    I travel a ton but think it would be a great idea.
  • Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2015 · 769 posts · 279 votes
    8y

    @Jason Biegert @Daniel Carman @Dave Clauson @Angel Hagen @Dustin Hawks @Collyn Hoffman @Christopher Stemler @Chris Trupiano @Kim Tucker 

    I @ anyone I could that had replied to this thread.  I'm in Topeka now and interested in meeting with folks.  Could drop by my business or meet for coffee.  Blackbird's seems to be a nice place for a meeting.  Still learning the city.

    Hoping to expand my network here.  After having to relocate quickly and become a renter for the first time in my life I realize there is a gigantic hole in the market here and it's ripe for opportunity.  My experience so far is Topeka is full of bad landlords with low quality overpriced rentals, not to mention the differences in RE prices from Wichita.  I'm a bit shellshocked at the lack of anything quality sub 200k.  Much less the poor quality housing we looked at for 1200 or less to rent.  

    Sorry for ranting a bit - I'm shell shocked from the differences in Topeka vs Wichita, but where there is a problem there is an opportunity.

    Also could someone local to the area explain to me why even on 200-300k houses I'm seeing cheap LOW quality 4x8 sheets of siding being installed on homes and some new construction homes at that?  I've been completely appalled that is happening here?  No one know how to install LP smart lap or James Hardi cement siding?

    Lets meet up and make Topeka a better housing market - it needs some energy and life injected into it!!!

    (If anyone could help me - we have an empty office space in need of a bit of attention that could use some sprucing up and would make a nice meeting space.  (Walkout basement that backs up to a park)  Anyways a suggestion.  

  • Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2015 · 769 posts · 279 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Kim Tucker:

    Did the topeka group get off the ground.  MAREI has a lot of people that drive in to Overland Park for our meetings from Topeka, but are looking for something more local.

    Kim are any of the folks driving in from Topeka active on Biggerpockets?

  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    Shane I’m up for meeting. I am out of town a bunch. How’s the next few weeks look for you?
  • Lawrence, KS · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 15 votes
    8y
    @Shane H, am in for a meet-up. I live in Lawrence but work in Topeka. After work hrs or weekends work best for me. Thanks for taking the initiative
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.