Skip to content
Worcester Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Charles Situ
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Wayland, MA
Votes |
Creative ways to change lay-outs of Worcester triple-deckers.

Charles Situ
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Wayland, MA
Posted Jun 15 2021, 11:29

Does anyone have any experience in changing Worcester triple-decker lay-outs? Was it worth the investment?

Many of us know because these triple-deckers were built 100-150 year ago, the original layouts are horrible (lack of counter space, kitchen in a narrow area near the bathroom, wash & dryer out in the open kitchen, minimal counter spaces, lack of dishwasher, parlor heating/stove, etc.). I do love the pocket doors in the living though. When I first enter this market 8 years ago, it was not worth the investment to optimize the layout because rents were low. But as rent rose, I am contemplating that decision again. I am seeing some creative things at open houses recently--movements of kitchens to allow an island or peninsula, 2nd bathroom additions in where the old kitchen was, replacement of parlor heating with central forced heating & cooling or electric mini-splits, putting refrigerator in where the build-in cabinets was. I know it may depend on the situations--I am a long-term holder and I would consider it first for the larger 3-bedroom units, as opposed to the 2-bedroom units, where there is a higher rent potential. 

Loading replies...