Detroit Multi Family

1 Reply

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Multi Family space and am looking at the Detroit market to start investing in apartment buildings of 80+units or more. Looking for B to C+ neighborhoods with rents in the $700-1000 range.  I wanted to get some feedback on how that market is in this space. Obviously there are goods and bads to every market, but I've heard a lot of mixed messages about Detroit. I know there is a revitalization underway but also still some very bad areas. I'll be flying out there in the next 10 days to take a closer look myself but wanted some feedback from anyone that can help.

Thanks!

Kyle 

Hi Kyle-

Apartments with 80+ units are hard to find, but they certainly do exist in Detroit. You’d be more likely to find something in the 30-50 unit range, especially in more desirable neighborhoods. I still maintain that multi-family is the way to go in Detroit as single-family homes in decent neighborhoods are hard to find. Lofts are overvalued for the most part right now, at least in my opinion. Commercial properties are also a good bet as more and more businesses are moving their operations downtown. I primarily invest in Grand Rapids, MI, but my partner and I are looking to get into the Detroit market is some fashion, whether that’s investing or property management.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.