• Wholesaler
  • Enning, SD
Votes |
Florida Delinquent Tax Roll-best "status" focus?-TDA vs Open

Account Closed
  • Wholesaler
  • Enning, SD
Posted Nov 9 2016, 10:11

I would like to have a conversation with a Tax Sale Investor who has experience with working Florida Delinquent Property Rolls to solicit buying tax delinquent property from the tax delinquent owner, before it goes to auction.

Florida being a Tax Lien state sells tax lien certificates to investors. After 2 years, if the delinquent owner has not "redeemed" the tax lien, the tax lien holder can apply for a tax deed. If approved, the county I am working in at least, sets a date for the auction of the delinquent owner's property. If no one else bids on the property, the tax lien holder who filed TDA (TAX DEED APPLICATION) can pay sufficient funds to the county to pay off any additional tax lien certificates and be given a Tax Sale Deed which will make them the owner of the property.

The county has multiple "status" designations that a delinquent account may be classified as. The primary ones that I had an interest in was OPEN (which means a tax lien certificate has been issued and the taxes, though paid by the 3rd party tax lien investor, are still due and owing in relation to the delinquent account's status with the county). Hence, these are prospects that I can approach to see if they are willing to sell their property to me, before any further action is taken by the county to sell their property at a tax deed sale. However, there can be a significant delay between when an account becomes delinquent and when it might end up being sold at a tax deed sale, if the 3rd party investor tax lien holders are not interested in pushing forward to acquire the property, instead of just waiting to get their interest and principal back at some future date.

If the status has changed to TDA from OPEN, how much time do I have to purchase the property from the owner before the Tax Deed Sale auction, which will extinguish my opportunity to buy directly from the delinquent property owner. Is approaching those accounts that are listed as TDA a good strategy to find "motivated sellers" for tax delinquent property in Florida. It seems that any property that has a TDA filed, would indicate that the property is valuable or the tax lien investor would not have taken that action to hopefully acquire the property that they are indirectly in control of via their tax lien certificate from the county & the delinquent taxpayer would know they have a deadline to act after which they will lose the property entirely to whoever wins the auction bid. I would prefer to ONLY mail to those accounts that have the greatest prospect of giving me a return on my marketing dollar. Would you please comment on if acting on TDA's is too late to be successful in my objectives of buying and reselling the property prior to the tax deed auction? Thank you for any help!

Loading replies...