Reviews on Tax Sale academy?

20 Replies

@Damian Gaitan    This is a tough one as I very rarely see local knowledge experts teach the classes and that's really what you want.  I don't know anything about this class or person, but I do tend to go to the free sessions of any tax sale educator that comes through my town.  I see and hear enough in the free sessions to know they are not knowledgeable of our local market and just flat out lie.   It sounds good if you have absolutely no clue.   So it is tricky to gain the knowledge you need to be successful.   

My though is let us know where you are.  Maybe we can recommend someone you can train with.   There are people here I know in Maryland, Alabama, Florida, Texas, Oregon, and maybe Ohio.   Some of those people know multiple states.  Maybe they know someone in your local area who teaches.  

I'd also ask the attorneys who work for the taxing entity if they can suggest training.

Ask your local tax appraiser and/or collector if they have any suggestions.

Ask the same people for the counties surrounding you.

Attend the tax sales....talk to people, ask questions, see the format, talk to the winners.   Talk to the losers.  Ask the losers why the winner paid more for the property...or bid down the interest or whatever the case may be to be the winner.   Ask them what they plan to do with the property.   You may have to switch up some of these questions if you are in a tax lien state vs tax deed state.

You might buy a couple of general books off of Amazon.

I think that all might be worth way more than spending $500-$1000-$5000 at some kind of national training.

Promotion
Innago
Property Management Software
Manage Your Rentals Better For Free. Save Time & Money.
Easily Collect Rent, Screen Tenants, Sign Leases, List Properties, Manage Work Orders, & Much More!
100% Free Try It Now

@Damian Gaitan , there are virtually no experts teaching Alabama tax sale law, because it is so different from every other state. You can search on BP and find a lot of articles and forum posts though, that are Alabama-specific.

I tried to contact Tax Sale Academy myself. Their education is built on a standard model of pyramid: I hear free video, then I order book for $5, book refers to course for $500, that course refers to premium for $5,000 etc. (For simplicity I omitted numerous intermediate steps). Fortunately I stopped at the very early stage, spending total of less than $100. I stopped because I realized that there is a lot of lies in advertising. Author promises to answer questions, while none of my messages were answered. Then I found that all the relevant information is already on the Internet for free  Well, I got a lesson of $100, that I could get for free reading messages above in this topic of BP.

Thanks Oleg, I appreciate the response. I actually decided to go with Taxsalesupport.com. They charge about $30/mo but they have a wealth of info and weekly webinars to help the novice investor get started. Plus they have been very responsive to my question so far. I would definitely recommend them for those just starting out, at least for a few months. Even though info is free like you said, they do a good job in compiling info and auction dates/format links to help keep you organized. 

Hi Oleg:

I came across this post after someone pointed it out to me. There are definitely many ways to learn including educational resources, forums and the internet in general. The other posts in this thread all bring up great points. I do want to point out, however, that I have never sold an educational product for anywhere close to $5,000. The only way I’d charge that much is if I was actually flying across the country and teaching someone in their living room. :)

I also want to mention I’ve done everything in my power to avoid the typical guru angles as I personally hate the “you must buy from me” type approach. That’s a big part of the reason I’ve produced so much completely free training material on this topic - I currently have 637 training videos on YouTube, 148 Podcast Episodes of my own and I post four new training pieces each week. My business is designed around providing as much completely free training as physically possible. If someone then desires additional assistance in a more hands on and organized manner, that’s the reason I created the program as a premium product.

I do apologize for not responding to any questions. With the amount of content we produce we are often inundated with comments and questions and have trouble keeping up at times. My questions usually get filtered for members first, with my remaining time spent answering other questions. You’re welcome to email your question(s) anytime if we can help.

All the best,
Casey Denman

Indeed, the price of $5000 disappeared for now. Though I remember it was there earlier. Nevertheless it is never free. Thank you for your free YouTube videos, though they are to advertise paid programs. 

Originally posted by @Casey Denman :

Hi Oleg:

I came across this post after someone pointed it out to me. There are definitely many ways to learn including educational resources, forums and the internet in general. The other posts in this thread all bring up great points. I do want to point out, however, that I have never sold an educational product for anywhere close to $5,000. The only way I’d charge that much is if I was actually flying across the country and teaching someone in their living room. :)

I also want to mention I’ve done everything in my power to avoid the typical guru angles as I personally hate the “you must buy from me” type approach. That’s a big part of the reason I’ve produced so much completely free training material on this topic - I currently have 637 training videos on YouTube, 148 Podcast Episodes of my own and I post four new training pieces each week. My business is designed around providing as much completely free training as physically possible. If someone then desires additional assistance in a more hands on and organized manner, that’s the reason I created the program as a premium product.

I do apologize for not responding to any questions. With the amount of content we produce we are often inundated with comments and questions and have trouble keeping up at times. My questions usually get filtered for members first, with my remaining time spent answering other questions. You’re welcome to email your question(s) anytime if we can help.

All the best,
Casey Denman

Hi Oleg:

Thanks for your post.

The screenshot is for our most expensive package, which includes lifetime access to myself via email and Voxer, as well as every single training product I’ll ever create in the future.

All the best,

Casey Denman

I just ordered Mr.Casey Denman free The tax Sale Playbook @ 4.95 shipping fee only and  Tax Law Guide book for Multi States at $67.00 because I'm to lazy to print out multi states tax guide . And this book will save me time and  i will cross reference with the county im interested in.  

Here is my thing, you dont have to purchase his total program at 500, 1000, or 5000 to obtain information. You can skip to what you need.  Casey Denman is a licensed real estate agent in Flordia.  He began pursuing a career selling real estate out of high school. IN 2002 at the age of 18 years old.  By 20, he obtained his brokers license to meet legal requirement to open his brokerage. Shortly after that his focus transitioned from brokerage into real estate investing and he has ben doing so far the past 17 years. This guy does not sound like someone that doesn't know what he' s talking about. So with that in mind i'm going to take my books and read and retreive what i need from it.  Many people think this is easy. The concept is but the work is all up to you what  you put into.

Promotion
Marko Rubel
ATTENTION INVESTORS
Get Deals 100% Funded – No Credit, No Banks, No Job Verification
New Unlimited Funding® program for investors: low-interest, without banks or shark lenders.
Check availability

I am a current, experienced tax sale investor. I haven't bought any course from any guru, I taught myself. 

Currently, I have more than one partner investing with me, who in the past (prior to working with me) spent over $10,000 with a tax sale guru, only to be asked to buy more "courses" or the assigned "expert" was clueless about the state my partner was interested in. 

I tell people I can't mentor, teach you or be your "guru". I'm too busy doing. (But I will partner with you, no fees)

However, I just read the "Tax Sale Playbook" by @Casey Denman this past weekend. Its FREE except the $5 shipping. 

In the future, when newbies ask where to start, I will confidently recommend Casey's book. I was really impressed with the content. 

I cant speak about his courses, but his free book has a lot of knowledge and value for new investors! 

@Damian Gaitan

Hello Damian,

I saw your post and would like to know your feedback on Taxsalesupport.com!

I am looking into sign up with them for their mentoring program. What was your experience with them so far? Did you go further than just using their website ( maybe for a mentor).

Please share!

Thank you,

Elena

Just wanted to stick up for Casey here -- the amount of value he provides for free online is insane. I taught myself tax sale investing from his podcast and Youtube channel without spending a dime. This year I acquired a tax deed for a 3-unit for a grand total of $13k from a tax lien I had bought a year earlier -- it needed only cosmetic repair inside and is looking like an unbelievable deal (ARV is $140k). If the course is too expensive for you, don't buy it - learn from Casey's excellent free materials, try out a couple of tax sales, find out if this business is for you first. I came here also looking for a review of the Tax Sale Academy, looks like no one here has actually bought it...

@Bruce Lynn

I agree 100% what Bruce said, if it’s a course on tax sale investing and goes over all the states or they travel from city to city, avoid it. They will not be an expert in any one location and the information they will teach you, you can find online easy enough. You should only consider paying someone who is an expert in the state that you want to work and they buy tax liens themselves, for years.

Alternatively, a good suggestion would be to find a local attorney who specializes in tax sale matters and pay him for a consultation. Probably a couple hundred a s you can ask them everything you can possibly think of.

@Casey Denman

Casey do you buy tax liens yourself and if so which states. Would you consider yourself to be an expert in any states ? I have 11 years or experience in Louisiana and have purchased hundreds of liens, quieted title on several properties, learned a lot. And it still can be very complicating and learn new things constantly and I focus all of my time on just my state.

Besides going over the basics of each state and then tax lien strategies in general, is there any states you can teach in great detail and have lots of personal first hand experience ?

@JeNae Armstrong

That problem is tax lien investing is very complex and varies GREATLY from state to state. When people look to national programs for learning how much can they really learn about their state that they couldn’t find searching online. Sure I agree there is the convenience factor, but unless the person teaching you has a lot of first hand experience in your state then they are not going to be able to teach you much that you couldn’t have looked up yourself. The basics of tax liens can apply to everywhere but it is the nuances that change from state to state that is the most important thing you need to know.