Portland, OR landlords, low barrier screening criteria?

21 Replies

Are you using low barrier screening criteria some recommend? Self managers and property managers? Attorney's suggest safest as far as lawsuit goes but can end up with some sketchy people IMO. Having trouble trading out of Portland.

Sorry, i don't have any advice but i'm in the same boat. I'm so effing tired of this town I'm literally just leaving any vacancies empty till I get the guidelines figured or get them sold. 

I know @Zach Davis vacancies is what I have too since May although have been rehabbing but seeing dead ends in trading out too. Was hard getting them vacant but time is money lost but nothing like a really bad tenant.

Originally posted by @Jeff S. :

I know @Zach Davis vacancies is what I have too since May although have been rehabbing but seeing dead ends in trading out too. Was hard getting them vacant but time is money lost but nothing like a really bad tenant.

We were lucky with the whole thing honestly. We decided to move back to flipping a few years ago started selling 2 years ago so we just have a handful of properties left. We also just decided to pay the taxes and regroup before moving into something else. It hurts to cut that check but since we don't really want to be in the rental business anymore it was really the cleanest way out anyway. 

I can't imagine that this is illegal (even in Portland) and it has really improved the quality of my applicants and virtually eliminated no-shows... I require tenants to complete a free application including an upload of an id and a paycheck or benefit stub with proof of income before I'll show the unit.

Originally posted by @Jill F. :

I can't imagine that this is illegal (even in Portland) and it has really improved the quality of my applicants and virtually eliminated no-shows... I require tenants to complete a free application including an upload of an id and a paycheck or benefit stub with proof of income before I'll show the unit.

Sorry non-portland question, what level of screening do you do on the application at that point, before they get to see the unit?   Thinking of redoing my processes.